• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Selling Alpine??

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
While at the car show today I had a very nice older man that just loved my 64 Sunbeam Alpine, he had a Tiger years ago. I have been entertaining the thought that it's a lot of trouble and cost to haul Vicki the Alpine all the way to Florida from Oklahoma, but I don't want to haggle with posting her for sale. The Gentlemen asked me by any chance would you sale your Alpine? Well, um well I have been pondering that actually and I would have to get X amount since that is what I got invested in the restoration and I don't think it's actually worth that amount. That's not to much I will pay that amount, can I sit in the car? What ironic fate that the Florida house is scheduled to be finished at the end of September. So some heavy hearted emotion on is this really the right time to sell old Vicki. Should I move on now or should I keep her since she is tied to my late husband Bruce and my life 13 years ago so much sentimental emotion tied to that Sunbeam. Realtor called, he showed the house today, car and house the same day, miracle? I will keep you all posted but I may not be part of this forum but then once in Florida fate may bring me and Alpines back together!

Donna
:)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Donna,

Sad to see a car go.. and if it has emotional value.. hard to put a price on it. That said.. there is never a better tie to sell something than if you have a willing enthusiastic buyer.

What I would say.. if you are seriously thinking about getting another alpine when you get to FL.. then might it not be better to keep the devil you know, especially given its history with you?

Nickodell

Donation Time
Hi, Donna. I can understand the heartache at losing your 'pine.

I've owned Matilda now for exactly one third of a century, since the day I hauled her away (free: shot engine and axle) on a flatbed from a guy's back yard in 1980, then spent 4 years off and on doing a "shoestring" restoration. (The wife had been going on about needing a new kitchen, so I didn't dare spend a lot of money on her. The car, that is.) I can't imagine losing her now. (Wife or car.)

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Donna, if you are not absolutely sure that you are ready to part with the car, don't sell it. You may regret it if you do. Another option would be to sell it within your family if that is possible.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I would look into car transporters. You may find they are not that expensive.

bmohr

Gold Level Sponsor
Wow Donna that's a hard choice and of course one you'll ultimately need to make yourself.

I remember when I met y'all at the Hallett Race Track up in Tulsa and how kind you were to store some spare parts for me. You hosted an Invasion, the second and last one I attended. I still have the audio file of my son Alec and Steve Kirk (AlpineAddict) being interviewed at the Blue Whale of Catoosa on Route 66. I think it was for an MSNBC web article on weird roadside attractions.

2013-06-14

You have always encouraged me to hang in there because Vicki was not made roadworthy overnight. So it may comes as shock to hear me say that it might be time for you to sell Vicki. It sounds like she'd be in very good hands. You can certainly chime in on the forum anytime as you've earned that right! It just sort of sounds like a new chapter in your life. But if you decide to hang on to her, I know a soon to be 18 year old boy you could hire cheap (free?) to drive it to Florida!

Good luck with your choice and either way vaya con Dios.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Plan B?

So after talking with Jim, he of course is not attached to the Alpine like I and my daughter are, he is relieved not to haul it to Florida. The cheapest quote I got to haul it to Florida on a open trailer was $700.00 dollars. Daughter is upset but she is in Germany with her Army husband and will not be back to the states for 3 years, so keeping it for her would be another 15-20 years before she can take possession. Sent e-mail to rest of family and shocker Mom says I can give it to Dad, really! I had no ideal he would want the car, he is the instigator in the whole project, found it hauled it home, we drug it to our house in 1989. So Plan B if the guy backs out of the deal I will give it to Dad and we got a 7 hour drive to East Texas, we should make that. Knowing that sometime years from now I will be dragging it on to Florida. Honestly the more I ponder this the more I think I am ready to sell her, she will be with an enthusiasts that will enjoy the car and keep her up. Dad will also but one has to question for how long he is 79 this year and he does the Airplane Avid Flyer meets and fly ins not the car shows. Find another Sunbeam in Florida and start over, will have the investment from selling old Vicki, this time it can be ME as the hands on restoration not paid friends.

Donna

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
When I moved from Texas to NC I had one car trailered at a cost of $600.00 and trailered one behind my U-Haul.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Piney Woods of East Texas

Bill, my folks live in Huntington, TX on Sam Rayborn Lake. Mom sent back a email that Dad was smarting off but if the sale does not go through I can still bring it down and they will baby sit till we get our 2nd garage done. Dad will have to park the dump truck outside. The folks have a large work shop, also a garage for the motor home with the Avid Flyer (plane) next to it and a huge open car port for the 2 boats and another car port next to the house. Vicki can squeeze into Dad's' shop I hope...But ready to sell and move on! Just in case I need to look at back roads off the turnpike and interstate a route to East Texas, going through Paris, Texas that is...

Donna

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Staying a Alpine Owner!

:) So Dad is looking into which trailer to borrow or if his golf cart trailer that he made to haul around his 4 person cart is big enough, I gave him the specs on Vicki the Alpine. They will come and pick her up in the next 2 weeks and store her in Texas till we get our 2nd garage built. That extra motor and tyranny that he hauled up here from Waco, TX for me 4 years ago gets to go back to TX for a while. Perfect Alpine weather and for the last week did not drive Vicki telling myself that I need to let her go...So yesterday after Dad and I got it worked out on moving her to Texas I drove her to town on my daily errands, yea I need to keep her ;) The other news is Sunday at the huge car show at the Baptist Church my other life time Tulsa Sunbeam Owner Don McNeill was there with his red Tiger! I felt bad that I had driven the Saturn Sky (Skybaby) and not Vicki, he said that he was tired of explaining what his tiger was, I know how you feel Don! Don's wife says every time he gets an offer on his Tiger or it's brought up he needs to sell he gets emotional and tears up so they still have it! He bought that Tiger in 1968 used and still runs good and well kept!

Donna
:cool:

bmohr

Gold Level Sponsor
Hey Donna, glad to hear that you'll still be an Alpine owner (or is it the other way round?). I know it was hard to decide, but these kind of decisions usually involve a bit of back and forth. The main thing is that it sounds like you it all sorted out. Good luck with the rest of your move.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Ready to Travel

;) Well it was a tight squeeze for me to get out of the door, but Vicki the Alpine is headed south to Texas first think tomorrow! Dad says he has a skinny friend to get her off the trailer. Worried but know she is in good hands! Rare photo of top on old Vicki!

Donna
:D

Attachments

• Vicki, ready to travel.jpg
    Vicki, ready to travel.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 38

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Donna:

Glad to hear that you are going to keep Vicki. These little rascals have a way of getting into our souls, don't they!! It's hard to walk away from them. I'm also glad to hear that my old friend, Don McNeill, still has his Tiger. I haven't seen Don in many years. In fact, the last time I saw Don was when I went to his house to go through his parts stash while looking for bits for a Tiger that I was going through at the time. THAT'S been a long time ago!!!!

Tell him I said "Hi" and to come see me when he gets to the OKC area.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Temporary Home

:D I got the call Vicki the Alpine made it safely to my folks place in East Texas, it started sprinkling so Dad backed the trailer in his shop so she is safe and dry. The spare motor, tranny, 2 large plastic boxes or bins of parts and a cardboard box of all the liquids she uses. Neighbor caught me out and asked, Did you sell you little blue car I saw it on the trailer this morning? NO, she just went to spend some time with grand parents...LOL

Donna
:cool:

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
All tucked in her new digs, Dad took her for a spin around his place, all is good!

Donna
;)

Attachments

• Vickie 009.jpg
    Vickie 009.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 5