• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sealer use beyond new gaskets

Acollin

Donation Time
Hey All

I just ordered a new water pump , lower radiator hose and thermostat for my 1966 series V sunbeam alpine ( stock set up).
Do you advise a gasket sealant on either the water pump or the thermostat housing? If so, whatndo you use and how/ where is it applied.
I may have asked a similar question not that long ago- senior moments!! please forgive.
Thanks
Andrew

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
I just did my timing cover and water pump gasket and used permatex aviation form-a-gasket sealant no. 3. It goes on with a brush and doesn't really dry. I was tempted to use RTV, but this had good reviews. Instructions said to put it on the threads too, but I had the bolts in before I read the instructions lol...

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I use Hylomar. It's expensive in relation to other sealants, but it has many advantages. It's self-healing, has a nice tack to help locate the gaskets, it doesn't dry out and become hard, and it's easy to remove when you have to disassemble. RTV is a poor choice for sealing any gasket, since if the seal ever gets dislodged it will leak like a sieve. Perhatex aviation sealer isn't horrible, but I really think Hylomar is better.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
I have never tried Hylomar - it looks like they have a number of different sealants. Which one did you use puff? I have used Permatex aviation gasket sealer for over 40 years and think it's great stuff.

Acollin

Donation Time
While I have your attention

I bought my parts from classic sunbeam in new york. There are two different gaskets that are sold together. While I have not yet taken things apart can someone explain the two gasket package?
Why 2?
Thanks
Andrew

fastfrontier17

Donation Time
While I have your attention

I bought my parts from classic sunbeam in new york. There are two different gaskets that are sold together. While I have not yet taken things apart can someone explain the two gasket package?
Why 2?
Thanks
Andrew
There is a backing plate between the pump housing and engine block. One gasket is between the backing plate and block, and the other for the plate to the pump.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I use Hylomar... it's easy to remove when you have to disassemble.

I am another member who uses Hylomar extensively. My favorite use is on the intake manifold gasket. I have not had any problems with vacuum leaks since I began using it, at least not gasket-related leaks. That said, I am curious about your comment that it is "easy to remove". If it is just that the part is easy to remove, I am in complete agreement. But, removing the Hylomar from the engine or part surface is always a challenge for the very reasons that it works so well. Has anyone discovered a good solvent for removing it?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
IIRC, Hylomar recommends acetone for cleanup. In fact, a cured polyester urethane is pretty much resistant to any common solvent.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
My $.02.

Back in the '90s, I gave up using gaskets on Alpine Oil pans, front covers, oil filter housings, side covers, water pumps

and thermostat housings/tanks.

I have been using RTV, with great results, at least from a Sealing perspective.

BUT, disassembly can be a challenge!

RTV is a formidable GLUE also!

Most of the time, TNT is needed to get RTVed parts off...

And, another note, don't use old, off brand RTV, it may not set up.

DW

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am another member who uses Hylomar extensively. My favorite use is on the intake manifold gasket. I have not had any problems with vacuum leaks since I began using it, at least not gasket-related leaks. That said, I am curious about your comment that it is "easy to remove". If it is just that the part is easy to remove, I am in complete agreement. But, removing the Hylomar from the engine or part surface is always a challenge for the very reasons that it works so well. Has anyone discovered a good solvent for removing it?

Hylomar sells a remover called HyloClean - https://smile.amazon.com/Hylomar-HyloClean-Cleaner-Degreaser-Remover/dp/B07M8H2N7R

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor

Hylomar can easily be removed using acetone or MEK.

Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, guys. I am pretty sure I have used lacquer thinner before but never straight acetone. I'll try that before investing in the HyloClean.