• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SAOCA Registry

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I am in the process of updating the Alpine registry. Any vehicles not currently included in the registry can easily be added. Also, updates to vehicles already in the registry can be updated - e.g. V6 modification, new paint color, change from manual to auto transmission.... you get the idea.

You can contact me at palmjeld@yahoo dot com with updated information and I will enter it into the registry. Simply use Registry in the subject line of the email so I know it is not spam. Thanks Pete

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Hmmmm. interesting, just where is the registry now anyway? Maybe I'm just lost, can't seem to find it anywhere on the site. Course I ain't too swift sometimes.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hmmmm. interesting, just where is the registry now anyway? Maybe I'm just lost, can't seem to find it anywhere on the site. Course I ain't too swift sometimes.

Good morning Go to the home page for SAOCA.org from the home page click on "menu" from "menu" drop down to SAOCA Information. The registry is on the drop down menu for Information. The Registry is setup so that each Series Alpine is listed separately: Series I, Series II, Series 3, Series IV and Series V. If your car is not listed send me the VIN number with suffix (GT or ST) , engine number, SAL number, color code and any other pertinent information - e.g., daily driver, or unrestored, or V6 modified, etc. regards, Pete

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Thanks Paul, found it. Will get some information and forward it to you to update my Series V. Vin # ending in 12345.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Registry update: Entries by Series: Series I - 133; Series II - 343; Series 3 - 397; Series IV - 174; Series V - 532. Most are complete vehicle entries though a few have information like "engine only". Given the number registered so far it would seem likely there are quite a few more Series II vehicles that could be added. Send registry information to palmjeld@yahoo dot com Keep 'em on the road P

ALPINE5GT

Diamond Level Sponsor
Pete,
I notice that my SV Alpine is in the registry, but the info is not correct.
I have B395018869, but the info is on the next car, B395018904.
My car (8869) is GT OD HRO color 107, body 642626.
I also added my SIV B94104214 BW LRX, same engine# Body 503179
colour # 58

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I discovered this type of issue when the Registry was under my (ultimately failed) management. When the data set was received at the beginning of my reign of terror, I discovered it was not always 'synchronized' between columns, when randomly checked. It seems one or another Excel column was edited individually instead of inserting a row for the new entry. Who knows how many times. Spent many an evening trying to find the sync point, based on the paper records I received. Ultimately, it's either a two-person/multi-beer job for sanity's sake, or people will need to check and post, as requested and as Kevin has done. The one bit of forward progress I was able to achieve (and the very end) was scanning in all the previous paper records as PDFs, which makes it a much more portable task. Can't just post them up, though, due to both expressed and presumed confidentiality matters regarding other info on the paper documents.

Possibly, one such issue lies between my car, B395013950, (whose listing I believe is correct) and Kevin's at B395018869, which is 5 from the end. But I seem to recall there were other entries far earlier, and in other series, that failed the 'spot check'.

So best bet is for all to visit and confirm what Paul has inherited.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Paul is going to regret volunteering for this role, but I just checked a couple of my past cars. My first Alpine, which I am virtually certain is long gone, wasn't listed. That is easy; I just submitted it. However, I also checked a late SV that I parted out and cut up several years ago (http://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/rip-b395017894.16531/#post-110302). Unless I made a mistake with the VIN, B395017894, that car is listed on the registry as "Original unrestored". I will check to verify the VIN, but I am thinking this is a function of the column problem cited by Ken.

I still have a couple of cars to check, but suspect the only way to fix this is to do what Ken suggests and have as many of us as possible check the site.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Jim, check a few lines above and below the dismembered SV, and see if you recognize engine numbers or other status cues.

And as we narrow down the errors to specific areas, it gets easier to cross-check against the scanned paperwork. Paperwork is divided by Series, unless multiple cars were submitted on the same hardcopy. I still have those electronic files, and they were forwarded to my successor. If Paul didn't get them, I can make that happen.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim, check a few lines above and below the dismembered SV, and see if you recognize engine numbers or other status cues.
It is hard to be certain. There is one car above and one car below that both have "RIP" in the status. Given the subject line of the message I posted after I cut it up, it seems likely that I would have done that, too. I saved the section of the car with the VIN and JAL plates, so I will check those...as soon as I remember where they are, which might take a while. However, the car was Signal Red, code 122 and neither of the RIP cars in the vicinity have that number. The car had the original engine, and that isn't listed anywhere in the registry.

But, looking at engines does help to diagnose part of the problem. Here is a screenshot of the relevant part of the registry:
upload_2018-2-26_10-0-25.png
Note that the engine number the 17894 line is the same as the VIN of the car right above it. That would suggest that 17792 is the original unrestored car. But moving those cells up one still wouldn't fix the problem with my car, as the adjacent color code and conditions are still pretty scrambled.

I hope I am wrong about this, but suspect we are going to have to rebuild the registry. Ideally, we'll be able to find an uncorrupted hard copy in someone's files. I tried looking through the Internet Archive last night, but the earliest back-up they seem to have of the registry is 2016 (https://web.archive.org/web/20160405031206/http://www.sunbeamalpine.org:80/registry/series5). Hopefully, someone has paper copies.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
All the paper copies in our possession at the end of my term (2015 or so?) have been scanned into PDFs, by Series, so "divide and verify" is possible. Probably step one would be to re-title the files with the VIN they relate to. Some could probably be OCR'd by someone with more smarts than me. I will send you a link, if they're still on my FTP site. Can you PM me an email address?

I believe I also have the original Excel files I was sent -- like you, I'll have to check. But they were pre-corrupted to some degree, for my convenience. File comparison utilities (assuming they exist) could highlight the differences quickly.

I'm not sure a paper print-out of early Excel info exists. I don't remember seeing it. I think things originated with Scott, then went to someone else, then me, then Paul's predecessor, and now Paul. I'm happy to assist in the process.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm looking at the Excel spreadsheets from which the current registry was made. They were pulled from the old site.

In Series V, the first VIN where things started getting wonky appears to be B395017163. Its engine is on the next line. Its color is listed as 1. I think we can safely shift all the engines from that point on up one line. But I can't say for certain whether the suffix, color, etc. can be fixed that easily. I don't have a car that falls into the B395017163+ range to check.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Good morning all: Thanks for all the responses regarding the registry. I was blissfully unaware of the issues some have dealt with previously. I will do what I can to ensure accuracy in the entries. Obviously previous entries need to be verified for accuracy. I did get a message from Alpine5GT regarding the entry for his car and have updated it. There have been a few other folks who also have contacted me with registry info. P

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I made a couple of entries in the registry this morning. I am not sure if members can make entries on their own - several have written to share with me that they cannot. I have them send me the information and then I enter it. That works okay for me. Thoughts Greggers?

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
To ensure quality, people can't edit the registry directly. But they can propose an addition to the registry (Paul, I just sent you a test registration). The image attached to this post shows where folks can find the link to add to the registry. Also is attached is what the actual add-to-registry page looks like.

If there are any edits (car was red, now blue; now V6 conversion, etc.), those have to be emailed directly to the registry curator.

Happy registry-ing.

Attachments

• AddtoRegistry.png
    AddtoRegistry.png
    262.1 KB · Views: 10
  • RegistryAdd.png
    RegistryAdd.png
    337.7 KB · Views: 8

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Thank you for adding my Alpines to the registry. Just to be sure, should others contact you directly with their information rather than use the registry input screen?