• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S5 correct jackstand handle

bkasl

Bronze Level Sponsor
It has been brought to my attention there may have been two types of handles to control the jackstand, one mounted to the starting handle and a standalone. Which is correct for a S5? Thanks

Jim in PA

Donation Time
The jack that came with my SV has a nut at the top that is the same size as the lug nuts on the wheels. The idea is to use the lug wrench to raise and lower the jack. I have not seen anything for the engine starting crank handle to be used with the jack. I believe the SV did not come with engine crank handles. Maybe older series Alpines had used the engine starting crank on the jack too?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The jack that came with my SV has a nut at the top that is the same size as the lug nuts on the wheels. The idea is to use the lug wrench to raise and lower the jack. I have not seen anything for the engine starting crank handle to be used with the jack. I believe the SV did not come with engine crank handles. Maybe older series Alpines had used the engine starting crank on the jack too?

My Series II came from the factory with a starting handle and lug wrench.

Bill

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor

Agree. The SV jack uses the wheel brace to turn the jack nut. And the SV did not have a starting nut on the crank, and therefore no handle was provided.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Agree. And the SV did not have a starting nut on the crank, and therefore no handle was provided.

Maybe - but my Series V (Ol Blue) has a crank nut that will, indeed, accept a hand crank. I have owned the car for 34 years. I am the 3rd owner. The engine was never rebuilt prior to my ownership. So - Series V engines may normally have come with a crank nut that did not accept a hand crank, but at least one of them did. As with all things Rootes, there seem to be exceptions to nearly everything.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mine has a crank nut too... but I added it when I rebuilt the motor. It originally had a flat (non-crank) nut.

ALC 68A

Donation Time
According to the Parts List, the Series V did have the dog nut for the starting handle (called a "starting jaw"), or at least early ones did. Up to B395005604, the part number is the same as that on Series I to IV (P.103766). From B395005605 it changed to 1235122, so perhaps this was when the facility for a starting handle was deleted, although it is still called a "starting jaw" in the list and the illustration still shows it with the cut outs for the starting handle pins.

ALC 68A (Steve)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Sv Starting nut....

My '67 SV has the starting nut!

It is original as far as I can tell!

Purchased it from the second owner in 1986 with approximately 81K.

As I recently rebuilt the engine it will retain the starting nut!

And FYI it is 395013260.

Happy touring,

DanR