• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S4 Part Shifter Question

kwhite

Donation Time
I am finishing up engine and transmission rebuild and cannot recall where this part goes or what it's function is. I bagged, tagged and photographed everything except the shifter. I did place it in the same container as shifter parts but I cannot find any diagram for it in manual.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Kevin

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh236/kevwhite/?action=view&current=s4.jpg[/IMG]

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The link is at the bottom of his question; it didn't post correctly, so it doesn't show as a photo.

http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh236/kevwhite/?action=view&current=s4.jpg

Kevin: this is the cover that goes over the starter pinion. These are almost always lost or discarded because they are a PITA to re-attach, but you should definitely put it back on. It fits on the back of the bellhousing flange and attaches with the two bolts that hold the starter in place. Somewhere, you should have a U-shaped wire bracket with loops for the bolts that holds it in place.

kwhite

Donation Time
No, it is not off the starter. I have that wire in place.

If you copy and paste the link into URL window it will display photo at photobucket site. I don't know why it will not linking directly to photobucket.

This part is a cup with a groove on bottom and a flanged edge on 80% of top. Remaining 20% is a curved cut at top with no flange. Looks like it could hold 1.5 -2 fluid oz. I have been very careful in keeping parts together so I am pretty sure it came off the shift lever area.

I will try to get this image to display tonight after work.

Thanks

Kevin

kwhite

Donation Time
Thanks Jim

I got distracted before I finished your entire reply. THANKS! I will have that part on tonight.

Limey

Donation Time
Jim Stone is correct, it most defo is the pinion cover. The cut away part butts perfectly with the bellhousing side. Try it.

I'll try and post a pic

kwhite

Donation Time
Thans gentlemen,

Yes it was correct part, yes it was a PITA! But it is done and I may be driving this thing soon if I am not careful.

Thanks again!

Limey

Donation Time
If what I am told is correct these were only made and fitted for the US market. How odd as they are a useful protection against road crud getting on the pinion and in the belll housing.

kwhite

Donation Time
Good Sir,

Are you suggesting that we colonists have crud on our roads? Well then, it is the best crud that my tax money can buy!

Thanks so much sincerely for your reassuance, I will likeley have this running over the weekend, (Independence Day).

Kevin V. P. Finn-White
Son of the American Revolution #153317 and lover of all great English style!