• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S4 1592 Piston Ring Gap

Chasedan

Donation Time
Does anybody want to weigh in on the proper piston ring gap for a 1592 cc engine?
The Alpine Service Manual I have says .024" to .032". The ring manufacturer (Hastings) says minimum of .004" per inch of bore diamenter. Currently the two compression rings "out of the box" are at .020". Am I in trouble?

Chasedan

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes, out of the box, the second ring doesn't need any work (should be about .019" gap, I think). The top ring always needed to be opened up slightly. You only need to open it up about 0.004", and you can do that with a metal file. Be careful how you do it.
Jan

Chasedan

Donation Time
thanks again.
I've got all the parts to this engine, I just have to put it all together without breaking anything.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Use a piston ring installer pliers? I have been using the same pliers that I purchased back in 1970.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Use a piston ring installer pliers? I have been using the same pliers that I purchased back in 1970.
I agree. Even if this is the only engine you'l ever build, buying a ring installing tool, will make your life a whole lot easier, and you won't run the risk of breaking a ring, or gouging the top of the piston as you try to twist it into the ring groove.

Another necessary tool to buy, is a good ring compressor for installing the pistons

Jose :)

Chasedan

Donation Time
Oops, I botched one. I filed one of my #2 rings to .025. My eyes aren't what they used to be.

more rings on order.

Thanks for the advice. I do have a ring expander and a ring compressor.
I just don't use them often. I seem to loan them out more than I use them myself.