• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S1 Intake Manifold Question

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
I'm continuing with my 30 year reassembly project and I seem to be missing a part. It's what they call the "Banjo" that goes on the intake manifold.

I've talked to people who say most owners just bypass the manifold heating. If that's the case what would the plumbing arrangement me. Again it's been apart so long I've forgotten how it all went and what the bypass looks like.

Does anything go from the manifold to the engine or are they both plugged off?

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

Ken

Banjo.jpg

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Originally there was a water hose nipple on the opposite side of the manfold which connected to the bronze Y - piece in the water pump. Just block it off with a suitable banking screw at the head and replace the Y piece with a singular pipe connector going to the heater radiator...

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Originally there was a water hose nipple on the opposite side of the manfold which connected to the bronze Y - piece in the water pump. Just block it off with a suitable banking screw at the head and replace the Y piece with a singular pipe connector going to the heater radiator...
I have to disagree with plugging that water pipe from the rear of the head to the "water-heated induction manifold jacket" (quote from Workshop Manual page 2) because that is the only way jacket water can flow through the engine from the rear. Since there is a small bypass hose near the water pump to allow water to flow back to the water pump from a cold start. Since the thermostat does not open until the jacket water is above a certain temperature that allows any flow to the radiator. I am talking about Series I and Series II engines only. Later engines with different manifolds without this feature do have a hose connection from the back of the head to the water pump. Therefore there could be damage from overheating before the thermostat opens. Just my observation.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm driving it that way since many years on my S1 w/o any problem (Ok, my radiator has been refurbished with a modern 4 row core) . If anybody feels a risk you may directly run a water pipe from the head to the water pump, but w/o routing it through the inlet manifold. You ' ll be surprised about the power increase - guaranteed...

Thistle Grey

Donation Time
Hi Ken, I have a couple of spares, if you want one, it's yours for the cost of freight. PM me, we have traded parts in the past.
Barry

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
Hi Ken, I have a couple of spares, if you want one, it's yours for the cost of freight. PM me, we have traded parts in the past.
Barry
Thanks Barry,
Are you saying you have a "Banjo"?

Since this thread started I've discovered that the throttle shafts on my carbs are junk. I'm thinking about committing a cardinal sin and switching over to side draft carbs. I'll keep you in mind if things change.

Thanks again,

Ken

alpine_64

Donation Time
It really depends what you want to use it for .. how much you are prepated to modify, adjust and what the budget is.... And performance/ sound/ aesthetic you like... And budget.

I have alpines with 2x 40 dcoe and 2 X 1.5" SU setups and ran the twin Zeniths down drafts as well... The Weber's are the ultimate to me...but not for everyone

Thistle Grey

Donation Time
Hi Ken, I actually have three intakes all with the banjo attached. One for the car and two spares. After I sent the message yesterday I thought I would pull one of the banjos and clean it up. I guess there is a bit of corrosion in there because the bolt holding it to the manifold snapped when I tried to take it off. If you decide to stay with the stock intake, let me know and I can send you the other spare manifold with banjo, same deal, just cover the freight from here on Vancouver Island.
My exhaust manifold was leaking last summer and I decided to pull it for repairs over the winter. I can't decide if I want to put it back on yet because I get so frustrated with the dual carbs and am considering changing to a downdraft weber and new manifold. Have you considered the setup from Alpine Innovations in the UK? Probably less expensive than side-drafts and personally I would be happy to put the dual carb issues behind me.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
I think history tells us to maintain some flow from the rear of the head back to water pump on early Series. If you've seen what I've seen in the back of the block, where this flow has been blanked off for lengthy periods, you would be horrified.

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
Hi Ken, I actually have three intakes all with the banjo attached. One for the car and two spares. After I sent the message yesterday I thought I would pull one of the banjos and clean it up. I guess there is a bit of corrosion in there because the bolt holding it to the manifold snapped when I tried to take it off. If you decide to stay with the stock intake, let me know and I can send you the other spare manifold with banjo, same deal, just cover the freight from here on Vancouver Island.
My exhaust manifold was leaking last summer and I decided to pull it for repairs over the winter. I can't decide if I want to put it back on yet because I get so frustrated with the dual carbs and am considering changing to a downdraft weber and new manifold. Have you considered the setup from Alpine Innovations in the UK? Probably less expensive than side-drafts and personally I would be happy to put the dual carb issues behind me.
Hi Barry,
I'll take it! I've decided to stick with the down drafts. Email me the information and I'll send you my address.
Thanks to all for their help.
Ken kenb@runnerduck.com

Thistle Grey

Donation Time
Hi Ken, sorry for the slow response, it's tax season up here and that keeps me very busy for another couple of weeks. I have your address from sending you parts in 2015 if you are still at the same place in Coupeville? I get it packed up over the next couple of days and get back to you with freight cost.
Barry

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
Hi Ken, sorry for the slow response, it's tax season up here and that keeps me very busy for another couple of weeks. I have your address from sending you parts in 2015 if you are still at the same place in Coupeville? I get it packed up over the next couple of days and get back to you with freight cost.
Barry
Thanks Barry,

I'm still at the same address and look forward to the package. Now If I could just find the oil filter parts!

Ken