• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Russo Steele Auction

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I walked thru the Russo Steele auction today and saw they are listing a Tiger. I'm going back tomorrow morning. If anyone interested in bidding over the internet and needs an eyes on site look over can contact me.

Car was still under a cover this morning whan I went thru. It's in the catalog and on line.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Went back to see the car this morning. By 10.00 it was still under the cover. I'm going to try to get back on Saturday and watch it go thru.

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
This was in my email, this morning, if anyone is interested:

"Two tents collapsed tonight (January 21) under strong winds and heavy rain at the Russo and Steele Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona. The tents had housed many of the cars consigned to the auction, which began January 20 and is scheduled to run through January 24. No injuries were reported, and damage to cars inside the tents is as yet unknown."

64beam

Donation Time
This was in my email, this morning, if anyone is interested:

"Two tents collapsed tonight (January 21) under strong winds and heavy rain at the Russo and Steele Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona. The tents had housed many of the cars consigned to the auction, which began January 20 and is scheduled to run through January 24. No injuries were reported, and damage to cars inside the tents is as yet unknown."

Lets hope that the Tiger was untouched. I bet that the people who constructed the tents will not be popular :mad: .

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
The cars were arranged in two rows each side of the tent with a wide aisle down the middle. Is was on the inside row on the right with another car behind it. I'm going to try to get over there again tomorrow. Tiger didn't have a canvas or hard top so my concern is more about water damage inside. I'm sure the cover that was on it either was remoived later in the day or blew away.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Lets hope that the Tiger was untouched. I bet that the people who constructed the tents will not be popular :mad: .

I read on another site that the problem is not so much the tents, but the soil they were erected on. Very high sand content, making it very difficult to properly anchor them.

Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

:eek: Has a price been put on the damage yet? There are some amazing and rare cars in that slide show. Definitely not something a car lover wants to see. I did not see the Tiger in the slide show. Does that mean it was unscathed?

Regards, Robin.

65beam

Donation Time
auction

this is a case where they find out if they have the right insurance. saturday morning the wife and i were at the shop where our car is being restored and we had a discussion with our hagerty agent concerning making sure we have the proper coverage on our cars. we were at a show two years ago when hurricane ike winds went thru and several cars were damaged including a tiger. i remember the sunday morning i got a call telling me four of our beams were swimming in two to three feet of river water. it wasn't a pretty sight. we did have the right insurance and the cars were restored right. the series 5 is a real good example of what the right coverage is worth. remember this the next time you renew your policy. make sure you're covered!

alpine_64

Donation Time
this is a case where they find out if they have the right insurance. saturday morning the wife and i were at the shop where our car is being restored and we had a discussion with our hagerty agent concerning making sure we have the proper coverage on our cars. we were at a show two years ago when hurricane ike winds went thru and several cars were damaged including a tiger. i remember the sunday morning i got a call telling me four of our beams were swimming in two to three feet of river water. it wasn't a pretty sight. we did have the right insurance and the cars were restored right. the series 5 is a real good example of what the right coverage is worth. remember this the next time you renew your policy. make sure you're covered!

The problem in this case is insurance might fix the damage.. but the cars true value and uniqueness is lost. This is an original unrestored car.. original paint, interior etc... once they are restored they might be as good/better.. but they are not the same.. I was glad to hear it survived unmarked.

As for its result.. apparently they rushed all the autcions.. the tiger owner had 2 other cars in the auction.. all pssedin the tiger at 44K i think.

64beam

Donation Time
The problem in this case is insurance might fix the damage.. but the cars true value and uniqueness is lost. This is an original unrestored car.. original paint, interior etc... once they are restored they might be as good/better.. but they are not the same.. I was glad to hear it survived unmarked.

As for its result.. apparently they rushed all the autcions.. the tiger owner had 2 other cars in the auction.. all pssedin the tiger at 44K i think.

Hi Michael,

I don't understand how restoring a car to its former glory would lower its value otherwise no one would ever restore a car. Sooner or later every car will need a restoration/freshen up. If repairs are done to a high standard, there should be no issues. Are you referring to your Alpine for example after it was repaired?

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Michael,

I don't understand how restoring a car to its former glory would lower its value otherwise no one would ever restore a car. Sooner or later every car will need a restoration/freshen up. If repairs are done to a high standard, there should be no issues. Are you referring to your Alpine for example after it was repaired?

Regards, Robin.

Rob,

I dont know how to explain this in a more simple way.. lets try again..

A car is only original once. A concourse resto is fine.. you can make cars better than new.. but to have a survivor a car that still largely has its factory parts.. factory paint etc is very rare.. the older they get the less and less of these cars there are.. there are Tigers out there in nicer condition, with better paint, better trim.. but they are not factory.. they are restorations. The value in these cars is in the fact they are NOT restored, they are survivors.. and they have lead very sheltered lives.

A car can be restored many times over, it can only be original once.

A point in case.. why dont you suggest to John Boggis who has the orignial low millage SIVGT on the board to have the trim redone in his car as some of it is a little saggy.. or redo the carpets.. or repaint the block.. he is preserving the car... you would agree.. if it was involved in an accident it can be repaired.. but you are gogin to have to repaint it.. at themoment it still has all its factory paint.. each part that is replaced on those (part from things like consumables.. ball joints, plugs etc) takes away a little bit more of its history.

As for my alpine.. heck.. you can repaint it .. rebuild it as many times as you like.. its lost its factory finsh long before i owned it.. same goes with the IA really.. they are nice cars.. they are restored.. and if i restore them in the furture I can tell yu they will be even nicer than they are now, but thats easy..

Preserving a car that has not been restored is a great repsonsibility that takes great restraint on the owners behalf.. and hopefully those cars fall into the hands of people who get that.

agmason

Donation Time
You can restore a car many times but it is original only once. The latest trend in "collector" cars is unrestored original. A few years ago cars were restored to better than factory build. Now, its the unrestored survivor thats gets the most write ups and notice.

64beam

Donation Time
Rob,

I dont know how to explain this in a more simple way.. lets try again..

A car is only original once. A concourse resto is fine.. you can make cars better than new.. but to have a survivor a car that still largely has its factory parts.. factory paint etc is very rare.. the older they get the less and less of these cars there are.. there are Tigers out there in nicer condition, with better paint, better trim.. but they are not factory.. they are restorations. The value in these cars is in the fact they are NOT restored, they are survivors.. and they have lead very sheltered lives.

A car can be restored many times over, it can only be original once.

A point in case.. why dont you suggest to John Boggis who has the orignial low millage SIVGT on the board to have the trim redone in his car as some of it is a little saggy.. or redo the carpets.. or repaint the block.. he is preserving the car... you would agree.. if it was involved in an accident it can be repaired.. but you are gogin to have to repaint it.. at themoment it still has all its factory paint.. each part that is replaced on those (part from things like consumables.. ball joints, plugs etc) takes away a little bit more of its history.

Hi Michael,

I understand where you are coming from, but as you stated it comes down to the owner or previous owners (John's car is a great example, but very rare). It really comes down to how they have been taken care of during their lifetime. Inevitably, even the survivors will become restos. The main thing is to keep the marque going for many years to come.

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Michael,

I understand where you are coming from, but as you stated it comes down to the owner or previous owners (John's car is a great example, but very rare). It really comes down to how they have been taken care of during their lifetime. Inevitably, even the survivors will become restos. The main thing is to keep the marque going for many years to come.

Regards, Robin.

Rob.. i agree.. but do you now get why having that particular car repaired would take away its value.. it IS one of the rare survivors.. give it a new coat of paint and its a beautiful body and paint job with a slightly worn interior..

Your original post "I don't understand how restoring a car to its former glory would lower its value otherwise no one would ever restore a car." questioned why repairing it would lower its value.. and missed the point that this cars value is its originality.

ceecpa

Donation Time
In my opinion, an original car is much more valuable than a restored car. But that doesn't seem to be the way the world works. An original may have to be "restored" at some point but the restored car is not the way it left the factory and, despite the efforts to create that originality, it's just not so.

So what? I want to see the old cars even though things have changed. As time passes there are fewer folks who even know the difference. Is that important? Hmmmm. I teach in a community college and modern students don't seem to know much about things prior to 1990, which is interesting for me because I've been around A LOT longer than that.