• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Running wires

Charles Johns

Donation Time
I have always run wires before doing body work and after installing the engine. If you have been afraid to do your own wiring, it is not that hard if done one circuit at a time. My Ford 2.3 has ZERO computers...by design. Even now, decades after the use of computer controlled engines, they are still the major problem of car shutdowns. After about a decade the engineers decided to add a "limp mode" so Joe Driver could at least get to a service station. I LOVE computers and worked with electronics for 20 years on TV, stereo, antennas, VCR, satellites, and all home entertainment devices. I just got tired of chasing electrons with a oscilloscope and signal generator. One cannot see the little buggers...unless they ARC, then it is usually too late. My 2.3 has a carb but no heat source for the choke, so an electric one is installed. Running wires NOW allows safer and easier location and attachment. Make sure NOTHING will chafe the wire once installed, it is of sufficient size for the job, and once mounted it can be accessed if necessary. Way too many car guys run wires where they are not seen, and it LOOKS GREAT. However it sucks wind if a problem develops on the road, and I build drivers. Those flex-wrap looms are great for covering wires, and ADEL clamps hold things in place. Tie-wraps work great also but if using as a permanent locater, get the ones with an anchoring hole...they are designed for that. ANY place wires pass through a hole in metal use a rubber grommet...or make one with tubing. The same holds true for fuel lines. Use relays on heavy draw items like radiator fans, some headlights/fog lights, etc. and make sure each circuit can handle the job. The amps or watts should be marked on the item. Done properly it is a slow process but one can actually save money too. My 65 Mustang harness was about $800.00 but I wired the complete car for about $250.00. That was 10 years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_2297.JPG
    IMG_2297.JPG
    650.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2290.JPG
    IMG_2290.JPG
    586.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2296.JPG
    IMG_2296.JPG
    755.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_2291.JPG
    IMG_2291.JPG
    654.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2292.JPG
    IMG_2292.JPG
    661.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2294.JPG
    IMG_2294.JPG
    503.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2295.JPG
    IMG_2295.JPG
    503.8 KB · Views: 68

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm struggling with the sequence of events. Other than for initial mock up and fitting purposes which is a normal step of any build, why would you install the engine and wire a car before doing the body work? You must not be planning on media blasting or painting anything other than the exterior?

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Bill, I build the complete car, ground up. The engine will be removed at least once more for under hood (bonnet) work before painting. The car will be taken down to bare metal, straightened, modified, then painted. By running wires now I have room to work, see all sides of any location where I run wires, which is necessary to avoid shorted circuits by cuts, crushing, or hazards that can't be seen after other things are installed. I have already found I need to lower the motor 3/4" so new mounts will be fabricated while it is out. I am fabricating the transmission mount, relocating the exhaust to the passengers side, and relocating the battery. This will be a long process of maybe two years and I am 76. It keeps me active...and thankful I can still build. Besides, I am several pounds over weight and the exercise does me good.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the clarification. The wording in your original post made it sound like you were farther along than the mockup phase.