• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rumbling sound from my gearbox

mattinoz

Donation Time
I can heard a distinct rumbling sound when idling in neutral which I presume is coming from my OD gearbox. The sound stops when I depress the clutch which I guess confirms it's a gearbox bearing, probably the front. The sound stops because the gearbox stops. I guess I'm looking for confirmation of my diagnosis and whether I should be overly concerned and replace this bearing ASAP or is it likely to be a mere annoyance until I can 'get around to it'.

RootesRich

Donation Time
Could be the throw out bearing. I had the exact same situation as you described. Upon pulling the tranny I discovered a lightly worn carbon throw out bearing missing a few pieces.

mattinoz

Donation Time
isn't the throwout bearing doing nothing until the clutch is activated, in other words it's not in contact with pressure plate until you press the clutch pedal and therefore can't be making any noise while idling?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
There are only three bearings that are active with the clutch released and the gearbox in neutral - the input shaft bearing, the mainshaft needle bearing and the layshaft needle bearings.

The sound you hear is almost certainly the front input shaft bearing, a roller-ball bearing, which will nearly always make a low, rumbling sound when it's going duff. The needle bearings don't make much noise as they fail... they just gall the shafts and sockets until the mainshaft/input shaft flex begins to cause the transmission to pop out of gear.

RootesRich

Donation Time
isn't the throwout bearing doing nothing until the clutch is activated, in other words it's not in contact with pressure plate until you press the clutch pedal and therefore can't be making any noise while idling?

Take it from my experience that a broken carbon throwout bearing makes plenty of noise when not in contact with the pressure plate.

mattinoz

Donation Time
Ok so I got 2 possible candidates for this noise both of which require dropping the tranny. So replacing both would be the prudent thing to do. The throwout bearing obviously is the easiest of the 2. Replacing the main bearing requires what? Dismantling the innards or does it come out from the front? Is it a job for a professional? I presume it will need some kind of press to get the bearing off the shaft?