• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rotax engines

T

turbinepete

I have a Sea doo boat with a 4 stroke 3 cylinder Rotax engine in it. It runs great and some versions of it turn out 215 hp although mine is a normally aspirated engine and develops 155 hp.

Rest assured that I am not about to rip it out of my boat but I was wondering if anybody had experimented with these engines for automotive use. They are quite small and would easily fit in an Alpine.

Hooking up a transmission could be a hassle...

Sure would like your opinions.

skywords

Donation Time
No but I sure have logged a few hours behind Rotax engines in airplanes. They are smooth and very reliable both the four and two stroke variaties. I have bet my life on them more than once.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have a Sea doo boat with a 4 stroke 3 cylinder Rotax engine in it. It runs great and some versions of it turn out 215 hp although mine is a normally aspirated engine and develops 155 hp.
I think somewhere you picked up the wrong horsepower numbers. That would be one huge displacement (about 4L), 3-cylinder to produce that much HP (plus its going to produce a lot of shaking)

serIIalpine

Donation Time
Quote:I think somewhere you picked up the wrong horsepower numbers. That would be one huge displacement (about 4L), 3-cylinder to produce that much HP (plus its going to produce a lot of shaking)

What makes you say that?

2,3,4 and 5 cylinder Moto GP engines normally produce in excess of 250 hp without turbo charging and they are 800cc.

Eric

'62 SerII

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Quote:I think somewhere you picked up the wrong horsepower numbers. That would be one huge displacement (about 4L), 3-cylinder to produce that much HP (plus its going to produce a lot of shaking)

What makes you say that?

2,3,4 and 5 cylinder Moto GP engines normally produce in excess of 250 hp without turbo charging and they are 800cc.

Eric

'62 SerII
But they are racing engines that can't be driven on the street.

Jose:)

serIIalpine

Donation Time
But they are racing engines that can't be driven on the street.

Jose:)

That's true, It was just a point for reference. I had a 1999 Honda CBR600f4 that made over 100 hp and it was a California legal bike with carbs and I rode it on the street.

My point is this: The technology is there to make rather small engines make lots of reliable HP if you put the engineering into it.

Eric
'62 SerII
(100+ reasonably reliable HP from half century old tech)

T

turbinepete

1999 Honda CBR600f4: best bike ever?

With my Sportster boat with the 155 hp, I top 40 mph. It runs very smoothly and has a nice sound to it too.:D

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
So, they have marketeers? They got your attention, didn't they?
I wonder why they didn't post any torque curves? Or any real data:confused:
All of their engines (except the aircraft engines) are for power-sport applications (small engines for ATV, dirt bikes, jet skiis, ultra-lights and so on...), high reving, small engines. So, what's the point?

serIIalpine

Donation Time
I really don't want to put one in my alpine I just posted it because it did show it's output rating AND that the 3 cylinder engines have a balance shaft.

No big deal. Just Info.

Eric

'62 SerII