• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rootes Logo on ash tray lid

bkasl

Bronze Level Sponsor
My 1961 S2 had a very thin metal Rootes logo attached to the lid of the center ash tray when I first purchased the car in 1971. Completely lost track of it but it was about 2" in diameter and was about the thickness of a tin can, I can still faintly see the outline of where it was attached. Was this standard or did previous owner get creative and add?
Thanks

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
My 1961 S2 had a very thin metal Rootes logo attached to the lid of the center ash tray when I first purchased the car in 1971. Completely lost track of it but it was about 2" in diameter and was about the thickness of a tin can, I can still faintly see the outline of where it was attached. Was this standard or did previous owner get creative and add?
Thanks
P Omay have been creative.

alpine_64

Donation Time
No logos on them.. The ashtray was a comon part to many brit cars and they were just fitted as a chrome lid

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I am cleaning up 2 ashtrays I've found. 50+ years of nicotine stain is a pain.

65beam

Donation Time
My S2 '61 does not have an ash tray. Where was it mounted?
The Alpine / Tiger ash tray is different from the unit used by MG and others. The Rootes unit has a flange on each side to mount it to the base that fastens to the floor. The others don't have this flange and are fastened by screws in the center of the base. Other than that they look the same.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The embossed logo does sound like a nice touch. I wonder how hard it would be to make a 'stamp' that could add it.