• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rootes Downdraught Inlet Manifold

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Forum,

Anyone who is after a Rootes Weber/Solex downdraught inlet manifold, there is one on Ebay Australia starting at Aus$20 (Cheap). The item number is 260088241788.

Check it out,

Regards, Robin.

lemansvk

Donation Time
Darn it Robin, I had my eye on that and was hoping no-one else would notice.
These are reputedly better than the "4 square" manifold that I have - anyone else care to comment?

Cheers, Vic

64beam

Donation Time
Sorry about that Vic. Someone would have found it sooner or later. By the way, how did you do with the air cleaner assembly?

Regards, Robin.

lemansvk

Donation Time
No worries Robin, it was said in jest :) (should have used the smiley last time)

I haven't fitted the a/c assembly (work gets in the way of so many things) but it looks fine thank you. Hopefully this coming weekend, when I should also get my new rear bumper and headlight eyebrow.

BTW are any of you Victorian Rootes owners thinking of coming here for the June long wekend (Rootes Car Club trip, in conjunction with Hillman Club of NSW).

Cheers, Vic

64beam

Donation Time
No worries Robin, it was said in jest :) (should have used the smiley last time)

I haven't fitted the a/c assembly (work gets in the way of so many things) but it looks fine thank you. Hopefully this coming weekend, when I should also get my new rear bumper and headlight eyebrow.

BTW are any of you Victorian Rootes owners thinking of coming here for the June long wekend (Rootes Car Club trip, in conjunction with Hillman Club of NSW).

Cheers, Vic

Hi Vic,

I should have used the smiley face as well ;) .I'm unfamilar with the 4 square inlet manifolds, do you have a picture? That would be the Queen's birthday weekend. There will be a fair chunk of our club members(Sunbeam car club of Victoria) going up to Bathurst for the Sunbeam Nationals 2007. The NSW club is running it this year, but unfortunately will not be going (always wanted to go around that famous track). 2008 is Victoria's turn again though and I will be going to that one.

Regards, Robin.

lemansvk

Donation Time
Hi Robin,

'4 square' was just a name I made up for the manifold that is on both my Alpine and Vogue - basically because the 4 inlet tubes all run square (right angles) off the main body - I'll post a pic later today (the shape is distinct from the Ebay one, where the tubes are at different angles). The Ebay one is similar to those I've seen on some Vogue Sports/Humber Sceptres. Someone had told me that these are better at getting the fuel-air in to the motor (certainly looks like they should be) and I was wondering if anyone else had a opinions or experience in comparing the two.

At some time you must get up to Bathurst - just to drive around fills you with admiration for the blokes who have raced flat-out there over the years. I did spectator control there on pit straight in 1973, the year that the Brock/Chivas LJ Torana ran out of petrol and lost 3 minutes (which cost it the race). I'm probably going again in my Brock Commodore later this year - the B/C owners are planning a drive there some time in between the anniversary of Peter's death and this years race.

Cheers, Vic

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello Vic, One of your photos was all wrong, so I repaired it for you, ;) You had the steering wheel on the wrong side. :D

Really Vic you have a great looking Alpine. I just could not help myself.

lemansvk

Donation Time
Michael,

Yeah, I know - there's story behind that. The car was off the road for many years for an extensive rebuild (and I swear I re-fitted the over-riders correctly). After I got it all back together, the very first time I drove it anywhere other than around the block, I was stopped at a set of lights and got rearended. (it was a clear sunny dry day, traffic lights could be seen for 500 metres and I'd been stopped at least 20 seconds) Luckily the bloke was insured, so it was back to the panel beaters, who fitted them upside-down. I can't believe I didn't notice until at British car day a few weeks later someone pointed it out to me :eek: :eek:

I must take some more pics now they are right way up. :)

Cheers, Vic

lemansvk

Donation Time
Hello Vic, One of your photos was all wrong, so I repaired it for you, ;) You had the steering wheel on the wrong side. :D

Really Vic you have a great looking Alpine. I just could not help myself.

Paul,

Yeah but now the speedo reads backwards, oil pressure has gone crazy and I'm always out of fuel. But at least you gave me an all-synchro box, because reverse is now on the other side :D :D

Vic