• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Roll-bar plans & specs?

hopsedge

Platinum Level Sponsor
Greetings All-

I'm considering installing a roll bar in my '67 SV. Not only would it provide the obvious shoulder seat belt benefits, but I also like the look of the them. A few questions:
1) Can these be fabricated (or purchased) to allow clearance of the hard top? I assume they typically allow soft top clearance, but please correct me if I'm wrong. For all I know, drivers with roll-bars never the put top up, but I do not have that option here in Georgia.
2) Does anyone have fabrication specifications, or alternatively know someone who fabricates and sells roll-bars to fit our cars?
3) Finally, assuming that I make or find one to purchase, does anyone have critical or helpful installation tips & tricks?

Thanks everyone.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Autopower makes three types, but here's the most basic, which does allow the top to be in place. Their other higher performance ones I believe do interfere with top operation.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The "show bars" auto power used to sell and I believe for a while via CAT also ..
If the bar works for the soft top it will work for the hardtop as the hardtop has more internal space.

B382002258LRXFE-HT-04.jpg

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Apparently the show bars get you in to track events. As the OP said it's looks and a place to hang a shoulder harness. CAT allegedly did sell a Autopower copy but I've not seen one that was marked to indicate that. The Autopower has a part number on it. There is a Cobra single hoop and a slanted one like the Weekend Racer. The full size will sometimes interfere with the side top covers, bins or whatever you want to call em. Guys made mods to the hinge to make em removable to clear the top when raising the soft top. With the Autopower you end up with a big blind spot in the rear view mirror.
It's pretty polarizing having one , take it from someone who had a fir sale listing cross posted to Bash a Tiger , I mean Bring a Trailer;)

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I have a show bar. I think it actually helps the lines of the Alpine. I agree about it blocking the rear view mirror partially. One plus side is that the bars end on the shelf. Many of the other bars go down to the floor - but then restrict the seat from going all the way back. I like all the leg room I can get on the car. This version had a head rest that went between the cross bar and the upright bar. But that was removed. I think the chrome really helps too. CAT used to sell a couple different styles. I believe this was one of them.

I repeat though that many of these things I like are because it is a show bar. Will it help in a roll over? Well, better than the windshield and my head, but probably not much better. Still, I prefer the look. My Tiger does not have a roll bar, and I would not prefer the look on the Tiger.

Alpine side close.jpeg

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I dont know the original source of the roll bar in my project. I bought it from a guy who was recreating a Maxwell Smart car and didn't need the roll bar. It has a little more structure to it than the show bar. I added bungs for the shoulder belt to mount to. That is the main reason I added the roll bar. I wanted the highest anchor point possible.20230205_143908.jpg53912.jpeg

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Down to the floor means a forward facing passenger side strut . That strut impedes significantly with the passenger side. If you've seen the Tiger trip video like Forest Brooks the loveable drink from the Johnny Carson show, but all more than our OP asked for here ;)
I'd like a single hoop Cobra style with an added side bar or one like Dan's Weekend Racer...

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I believe Aladin's is the same as mine. I'd call that a show bar. But maybe I've been wrong all these years. To me, to not be a show bar, it needs at least one strut from the top going forward or back.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I think the diagonal brace on mine adds more strength than the same hoop without that brace. Does it make it more than for show? I won't be dropping mine on the top to test it.

I think it is strong enough to mount my shoulder strap to, and that is why I have it in the car.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
As I said, maybe I've been wrong all these years. It may all depend on what era we're talking about, and who is selling. That is, I think some lawyer would tell a seller to call it a "show bar" so that they can defend themselves if sued. And my criteria for the diagonal bar going forward or back may simply have been what was required by SCCA or some other racing org decades ago when I first heard about it. I've certainly seen in following the years of racing of our Elva MkVI that what was ok for a roll bar in 1962 (none) to what was first used (a single thin tube), to the years that came (lots of diagonals), it all depends on what you want.

I'm with you. Not dropping mine on the top to test it! And to be honest, while I drive it a lot these days, all local, non-freeway drives. So the chances of rolling are pretty slim. The Tiger gets on the freeway more - and it doesn't even have a rollbar.

Asm109

Donation Time
I agree with Jay's sentiments. A "show bar" is CYA verbiage. Anything is better than nothing, unless its presence prompts you to drive in a manner that promotes rolling the car.
If you really care, lookup the various race sanctioning organizations and build a roll bar that meets their requirements.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I agree with Jay's sentiments. A "show bar" is CYA verbiage. Anything is better than nothing, unless its presence prompts you to drive in a manner that promotes rolling the car.
If you really care, lookup the various race sanctioning organizations and build a roll bar that meets their requirements.
I've made this argument before... But.. most of the bars are more danger than safety.

If you can touch your head on the bar... Then in a simple traffic rear ending...your head will hit the bar ( no headrests in a stock sunbeam) so it's the equivalent of someone tapping your skull with a baseball bat...
I'm going to assume more chance some dip looking at their phone hitting it car is more likely than rolling it...

Then there is the issue most bars to fit under the tops are lower than your head if you are over 6ft....

Thats why for competitive driving you need to be able to have a straight line between the top of the bar and the scuttle without it touching your Hemet for it to pass tech....

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is a link to a post about mine from a few years ago. The key part of the post is the fact that I was able to have a custom one made for about the same price as an Autopower one. Of course, that guy did go out of business, but it might be worth seeking out someone similar to get a price.