• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ringing (bits) in my head

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Its is a sad way to learn but I will share in my failure.
Here are some photos, tell me what you see. Can you tell me what I did wrong?
Ring gap?

Attachments

• ring_into_head1.jpg
    ring_into_head1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 75
  • ring_into_head2.jpg
    ring_into_head2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 71
  • ring_into_head3.jpg
    ring_into_head3.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 52

Andrew

Donation Time
Ugh. Is that part of a ring, or is it from the sparkplug?

Hi Ken, Yes Ugh is correct!
It is part of a ring in piston #1. In the one image you can see a small square bit of piston that the ring blew out up through and en-beaded itself into the surface of the head. She was running and all of a sudden bang, bang, bang. Not a nice sound at all. Now I have to rebuild the engine. I can only assume the I had too much piston to cylinder gap or the ring gap was wrong. One miss fire and she went south.
Andrew

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Welcome back Andrew.

This is exactly what my #4 piston looked like 12 years ago and it was on a factory original engine with about 15,000 miles on it. I was running across Wyoming on a hot July day at about 70 MPH (with OD, so not reved too high). I was about 5000 miles into an extended trip. The engine was running hot and I had the heater on to try to keep it cool. (and the top down and a wet towel around my neck to try to keep ME cool). In addition to the busted ring piece, the exhaust valve seat was burned, and when I disassembled the engine I found the #4 ring was broken in several places, but only that one segment was small enough to wobble in place until it busted thru the top.

I am very inclined to believe RR's explanation. But at highway speed with the top down I could hear no pinging. I suspect overheating, especially of the #4 cyl was also a factor. When I rebuilt the engine I found a good bit of foundry "sand and sludge" inside the cooling passages at the rear of the block.

Tom

Andrew

Donation Time
I didn't receive much of a warning. Car had been running good and one morning had some difficulty starting and 3rd or 4th time with the ignition she fired and bang, bang, bang. I quickly turned her off and found this!

Is it possible to fix the head, what do you think?

Andrew

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Haven't seen your car! IS it a nice original or just a good driver?

Consider a conversion to 2.8 V6? I have a nice group of Conversion Components for converting over to a Ford V6 with a late model Mustang T5.

If not, make sure the engine is torn down completely and run through a competent Auto Machine Shop for rebuild or do it yourself carefully.

There are lots of good videos on How-to now....

Best of wishes,

Andrew

Donation Time
Haven't seen your car! IS it a nice original or just a good driver?

Consider a conversion to 2.8 V6? I have a nice group of Conversion Components for converting over to a Ford V6 with a late model Mustang T5.

If not, make sure the engine is torn down completely and run through a competent Auto Machine Shop for rebuild or do it yourself carefully.

There are lots of good videos on How-to now....

Best of wishes,

Hi Dan,
I would like to think of it as an original. I don't think that I would ever convert it over to a 2.8. I love the way she rides and handles, power is not a real thing for me. I have been watching the Miata conversions and love the work that one of the fellows did on his car. I would love to keep it original. She needs paint, rear leaf springs are getting tired and now the engine. I will have to do a great deal of reading and find as much info as possible. I just wish there was a mechanic that I know would be good with a Sunbeam engine. I appreciate your communication and input.
This is may old girl click here
Thanks,
Andrew

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Very nice Alpine, Andrew!

Keep Her original!:D

DanR

P.S. I have one also that is original (Original).

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Andrew, Absolutely the head is repairable. Mine was in worse shape. I had it milled about 6 thou, and that removed most of the dents and all the raised portion of the dents. But I also had a lot of damage around the exhaust valve that required welding up. I'll try to attach pics

In the first pic you can see a lot of dents as the car ran for about 2-3 minutes while it made a deep rattling sound. You can see the embedded ring segment at about 10 O'clock in the pic. But you can't see the burned / corroded area behind the exhaust valve. It all cleaned up pretty nicely with just a 6 thou milling. And I also did a Vizard mode to the head

Tom

Attachments

• Chamber #4 damaged.jpg
    Chamber #4 damaged.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Chamber #4 repaired and milled 6 thou.jpg
    Chamber #4 repaired and milled 6 thou.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
It looks like your motor went to a lean condition, I would look for air leaks and check timing when the motor is back in the car. When a motor goes lean it will detonate a piston just like that. Here's a picture of my motor that went lean from the timing being off, I was adjusting it for the Cali gas.
IMG_1418-L.jpg