• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rims Andd Tires

S

scottylack

I just purchased a '63 Alpine in original blck paint... is that a rarity?

Also... I really need to get these wire rims off the car. What are my options for wheels...? Can I fit some nice American 14 or 15 inch rims on this car with adapters? Is it possible to convert the hubs over to 5 lug at 4.5 or 4.75 ? Anybody do this?

Finally...whats the largest tire I can get under the back...? the front with standard suspension!

thanks in advance

scott

alpine_64

Donation Time
Scott,

Yes you can convert the car to bolt on wheels using Sunbeam hubs. Just make sure you don’t get SV rear hubs as they have a different axel size.

As for wheels, you can run 13, 14, 15 wheels. 7 inch is about as large as you can go on the rear, but you would have to watch offset to avoid tyre scrub, cutting the tyre on the rear arch lip and 215 is maybe the widest tyre, but expect you might get tyre scrub on the front valence.

As for converting to 5 stud or different 4 stud.. yes.. but that’s going to involve machining.

You can easily order 14 or 15" superlite or panasport wheels to fit the alpine from several suppliers.

here is my car with 14x6 superlites:
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2210268320054462410trdCMq

here is a tiger with i think 16" panasports:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=172416631&size=l

mikephillips

Donation Time
Actually I'd say you can't convert the original Sunbeam wheel hubs to a larger 4 or 5 bolt pattern, they're not big enough where the lugs mount to move them around. You might be able to machine a spacer that would mount to the original lugs and then have it's own pattern which would then require a different offset to keep the wheels from moving too far out.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Actually I'd say you can't convert the original Sunbeam wheel hubs to a larger 4 or 5 bolt pattern, they're not big enough where the lugs mount to move them around. You might be able to machine a spacer that would mount to the original lugs and then have it's own pattern which would then require a different offset to keep the wheels from moving too far out.
Hi Mike,

If you use the Ford 4x4.5 five bolt pattrern, it can be done safely. I did this to the blown Alpine I'm working on. It does have a Ford 8" rear end in it, which makes it easier, but the Alpine rear will also accept it. It cost $100 for the pair of hubs to be machined with the five bolt pattern.

Jose:)

S

scottylack

I'm confused...what is the bolt pattern on my 63 Alpine now??? I thought it was 4 x 4.25 ?

I've seen adapters that make 4 bolt Mustang hubs (4 x 4.25) fit 5 bolt patterns...will these work...?

Did you mean Mustand 5 x 4.5 ...? Never heard of 4 x 4.5....?

CONFUSED!

Alpine 64 ...love those wheels...but I want to put classic Radir rims on this car ...5 x 4.5

S

scottylack

will those Mustang adapters qwork? Are stock 63 Alpine rims 4 x 4.25?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
will those Mustang adapters qwork? Are stock 63 Alpine rims 4 x 4.25?
They really aren't adapters. What they do is weld up the old holes in the hubs, then drilling and reaming five holes on the Ford pattern. The same thing is done on the rear axles.

I have a picture of an Alpine that had this done and is using after market wheels. A set of Muatang II and Fox bodies Mustang wheels will work fine. I will see if jim Ellis will post it on the board.

Jose

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Scott,

No disagreement with any of the replies, but your original question about the largest wheel / tire you can use at the front has not really been addressed.

As alpine_64 pointed out, you can probably use a 7" rim with a 215 section width at the rear if you have the correct offset / backspace.

Because of the front suspension layout on the Alpine, the widest wheel that will not stick out beyond the front fender is 6" and the tire sidewall bulge will still be outside the fender. If you want more detailed information, please let me know your e-mail address using the forum PM or e-mail function.

S

scottylack

Hmmm... I'm asking questions but not getting answers.

1 Are the bolt patterns on 1963 Alpines 4 x 4.25?

2 There are wheel adapters you can buy to convert ford 4 lug to ford 5 lug...will they work on this car?

3 Is black a rare color on an alpine?

4 Can I have the lug pattern changed at a machine shop?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
1. The Alpine wears 4 X 4.25 bolt pattern wheels.
2. An adaptor for 4 X 4.25 to five bolt should work on the Alpine. Have never seen these, so am speaking hypothetically. If you find a picture of them, post it. A lot of people would probably be interested. They will probably add thickness to the hub/wheel interface, but this could be addressed by carefully selecting wheel backset. There are 4 X 4.5 wheels, have been used on a lot of cars over the years.
3. No idea.
4. yes. A machine shop rule of thumb is the center of the holes should be about 1 hole diameter from the edge. That would leave a quarter inch of wall if a 1/2" bolt is used. If it gets closer than that, I'd say someone needs to apraise the situation.

Bill

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I just bought some 13 x 6" Mustang II wheels. I hope they'll fit ok because I really like their looks. Will take 185/70s.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I just bought some 13 x 6" Mustang II wheels. I hope they'll fit ok because I really like their looks. Will take 185/70s.
I've looked at those wheels before. Please let us know how they fit, especially in the front.

Jim

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
All you need to do is check the backspace measurement. With a 13x6 alloy wheel, a backspace much more than about 4" may result in the outer end of the upper A-arm hitting the tire sidewall (unless you use spacers). A backspace significantly less than 4" will result in the wheel being outside the front fender line. That should not be a problem so long as you don't mind the rice rocket roller skate look. You may also need to trim the front valence for turning clearance.

It's an Alpine, so your measurements may vary.

Jim E

Donation Time
My SV came with those MII wire baskets on it and they fit fine in the rear and stick out a bit much in the front. To use them you will almost certainly have to trim the lower front edge of your valance.

What I still want to do is send off a set of stock Alpine steel rims and have the centers put in a set of 15 inch rims. Last time I looked it was about $80 each to do this and I think that includes powder coating.

S

scottylack

My car came with the wire wheels and the knockoff cap.... how do I change this back to a 4 bolt hub?????????????

M

mschoonmaker

Barry,
I am interested in the 6" wheel, I want more contact patch as I have a lead foot and I like the look of a wider tire as long as it fits just about even with the fenders, I dont like the roller skate look but I do want to fill the wheel well (race car lookin). With all that said what is the correct offset/backspace for a 67 alpine. Do you know of any pictures of cars with other than stock setups so that I can buy the right stuff the first time ???

Please help, any Ideas appreciated.
Mike