• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

reupholstering seats in leather

O

odl21

i'm a little tired of getting stuck to the vinyl seats on sunny days so i was thinking about a winter project to re-cover the seats in a nice new high quality leather. at the same time i could replace the straps and diaphragms and re-cover the door rolls in the same hide.

i found a place that sells whole hides for about $250 and i'm wondering if this is something i could take on myself. it shouldn't be too hard to remove the vinyl, cut leather to match and stitch it up.

has anyone else done this?

mikephillips

Donation Time
If I was you I'd consider taking the hide and one of the current covers to a shop and let them sew up a couple replacement seat covers which you could install. Would be much easier than trying to sew them up yourself since it normally takes a heavy duty machine due to leather being fairly heavy material.

O

odl21

i don't have a machine at all... i was planning on using a needle and thick thread :eek:

maybe a shop would be better... :)

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
i don't have a machine at all... i was planning on using a needle and thick thread :eek:

That's the funniest thing I have ever heard. You need a machine to do this right. I use to run an upholstery shop back in the late '70s. Leather hides are very expensive and I don't think they are any cooler. You need a breathable material or somehow get ventilation, like making pleats.
Jan

O

odl21

shop it is then!

but normally you don't stick to leather like you do with vinyl. i'm not talking about the crappy shiny leather you get in american cars - i'm basically looking for a modern feeling like you get in a new audi or mercedes convertible. maybe the reason i never sweat myself into audi seats is because of the perforations in the leather. in any case, it should be possible to reproduce this too. i also much prefer the feel and smell on leather - doesn't everyone?

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Owain, I have an excellent upholstery craftsman nearby.
He does excellent work at realistic prices, in any material made or "harvested".
His name is Guven, 1st generation American.
Still does things the "Old world way".
If your interested, i'll get you his number.
He's doing a complete 2-tone leather interior including carpeting and headliner for the Jag for less than $4000.00, installed!
All the Jag parts suppliers wanted $8000.00 for a kit alone.
He installed the new seat covers in my Alpine seats for like $125.00, had them done in a couple days. They look perfect.

65beam

Donation Time
leather seats

i have to agree with jan.leather is as hot as vinyl in hot weather. besides that i don't like setting on a dead cow any time of the year.every car we buy comes with a cloth interior.why pay a fortune for a leather interior when all you get is the section you set on . the rest is vinyl. and if they get wet ,they don't smell very good.