• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Reproduction Parts

A

AlpineIan

Guys,

Since I'm now no longer employed and starting off on my own business venture i'm thinking of ways to help make some money. I would like to start making some reproduction parts to help the marque and you guys with restoration. I have a background in tool making and special machines and still have contacts with a rapid prototype company that I used to work for. They have several stereolethography machines we can use for prototypes, castings, etc...

Besides badge bars and linkage kits... what do you guys think we should have made. I was thinking of some simple items that would be in need like;

Generator brackets

SII Cantrails

Nice repro carpet kits like the Harringtons and GT cars have... I want to make a formed tunnel hump with nice carpet applied like factory.

Muffler hangers

Early windshield to body trim.

Any other ideas?

A

alpine in calgary

repro parts

Even though I am getting out of the sunbeam hobby I can see the writing on the wall,from all the fuss I would say that the non peaked headlight rims are a no brainer and from recent postings that the hood flash would also be a good idea for reproduction.....just my 2 cents :rolleyes:

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Observations!

The brackets for the hardtop to clamp onto the car, those lovely peaked headlight rims that cannot be found.
I have made contact with a Sunbeam past owner who has a attic of parts new and used. Going over Sunday to see what he has but it does surprise me that when I had to whine and beg for parts while restoring my car this dude living 5 miles from my home has an attic full of parts. My hubcaps came from North Carolina, my door pulls from Texas and my MasterCard to British Victoria for the smaller new chrome parts - hinges, door cranks etc. All my glass from a long time Sunbeam owner in Oklahoma a fellow named Chester Bailey in Hulbert, OK. In fact the last other running alpine that was a local car in town was purchased from Chester. Chester and I have never meet but I thank the Sunbeam Gods for him to have the windshield and side glass, template for the dash, my car would not be finished if not for Chester. From my experience and several post on this forum we are losing many Sunbeam original owners, people that fell in love with the car Alpine/Tiger and purchased it new or slightly used and held on to that car forever, bought all the spare parts they needed when Roots, Inc. went out of business way back when. As a club we need to get the word out that those cars and parts are wanted. Last Friday I passed a semi truck loaded with crushed vintage cars brought tears to my eyes.
I know instead of “Keeping them on the roadâ€, maybe it should be. “Save an Alpineâ€
If your getting out of the Sunbeam Hobby Please, I plead with you make sure another Sunbeam hobbiest gets those parts!

Donna

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Ian - you know there's a HUGE demand for correct reproduction front and rear rubber mats, especially for Series 3 Alpines. That should be your first priority, especially since my original set won't last forever.....;)

S

Steve Kirk

Some of the rubber seals for the early cars are not available. Not sure if we could have enough demand to reproduce economically.

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Mike that's a great one, seems that I'm always in need of those C channels. I bought one for a MG and had to cut it in several places to fit the hard top, but still didn't do the job correctly. They are made for the MGs so there is a source out there if we could find him and get him to manufacture some to the Sunbeam specifacations.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Yep, the bottoms of doors, the bottoms of hardtops all seem to need replacements. And in those areas it's either straight or a mild curve, not a complex shape. Could use it for later top frames as well. And if it's sold by the foot or something Ian can probably find other cars that it could be bought for.

burgy711

Donation Time
How about the center console back pad that was on the GT model or the back "seat" pads for GT's? The Series III bonnet pad and wire setup that is in the engine compartment. Not sure if it was in other cars or not?? The rear wrap around interior panels for GT models too... that would be side and back. The GT rear finishing pieces that go around the top of the interior panels and body of the car. Early Series gas filler to body rubber and maybe the chrome piece as well. I know you can find them on occasion but there doesn't seem to a consistent source. License plate holders front and back? I'm having a hard time finding a passenger window winder mechanism and glass that isn't a million dollar purchase.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The rear wrap around interior panels for GT models too... that would be side and back. The GT rear finishing pieces that go around the top of the interior panels and body of the car. Early Series gas filler to body rubber and maybe the chrome piece as well. I know you can find them on occasion but there doesn't seem to a consistent source. QUOTE]

The SI/II chrome filler ring is availabale from Rootes NL.
The GT panels can be bought from UK (except maybe the top parts.. but they are not in demand)

Ian, Start with 1 or 2 parts that people need for alpines.. but if you are getting started.. start with tings with a large market, parts that can cross over with Tiger owners.. and at least they tend to pony up the $ for stuff.

burgy711

Donation Time
looking for the Series III GT....... so the winder and glass from the series V passenger side I think would work. Let me know if you have something.

With regard to the wrap around finishing interior....... would be great if there was a listing of parts availability. I looked for two years to find something and ended up making a template from the old and having them special made by a local upholstery shop. CaCHING $$$$..... I re-padded and re-upholstered the top finishing pieces myself...... they are OK but not perfect.

M

mschoonmaker

repro ideas

I would like to be able to buy stuff for a 67 alpine like:

1. A gas pedal (mine is over the hill)

2. bonnet release cable w/little doodad on the end (mine is broken)

3.A HARD TOP (nice to have)

4. Seat frame and the tracks ( I have mg seats in mine now, thats a sin)

5. chrome trim for the scoop and ducts for the LAT hood (I can get the fiberglass hood but where do they have the neat chrome deals ???)

6. 6" rims (if some racer could tell us what works, i.e. offset/backspace/ 13 or 14" what tire for race and street I would pay for that)

and just for laughs how about AC, lol.

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
looking for the Series III GT....... so the winder and glass from the series V passenger side I think would work. Let me know if you have something..

I know I have several, will find the best one then weigh for shipping.
What's the destination zip code?

S

Steve Kirk

Here is another

Early series tool rool

Also has anyone ever looked into reproducing the Rootes metallic signs, one of these would look good in my garage.