• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Replacing rear axle pinion bearings

63Sunbeamalpine

Donation Time
I have a lot of movement in the pinion bearing on my S2.. just wondering if anyone had gone through one and are there any tips or tricks I should know... TIA

gary1725

Donation Time
Hi - I have not rebuilt rear ends beyond replacing the ring gear bolts and preloading the pinion, so no expert, but the pinion preload is achieved via shims slid onto the Pinion shaft under the nose of the inner bearing, these can disintegrate removing the preload and I would imagine once there is any movement the remaining shims would be quickly break up leaving the pinion pretty loose. not saying that the bearing or other things might not also suffer as a result of this but the bearing can at least be inspected by removing the pinion bolt, sliding off the coupling and removing the pinion seal, which is likely shot anyway - then the bearing can be slid off and inspected, if any shims are still present, they too can be removed and inspected before putting it back together and preloading the bearing correctly.

Shannon Boal

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you remove the pinion nut mark it first....(.I usually use a cold chisel to mark the nut and the end of the pinion shaft.) This is important. Same for removing the drive shaft from the rear axle companion flange, same for replacing U-joints. Now, what kinda movement are we talking about? If we grab the drive shaft, does it rotate a few degrees of slack? Or, does it shake side to side? It would be good to know if this has lube....pulling the fill plug, can you dip a pinky and find grease?

63Sunbeamalpine

Donation Time
If you remove the pinion nut mark it first....(.I usually use a cold chisel to mark the nut and the end of the pinion shaft.) This is important. Same for removing the drive shaft from the rear axle companion flange, same for replacing U-joints. Now, what kinda movement are we talking about? If we grab the drive shaft, does it rotate a few degrees of slack? Or, does it shake side to side? It would be good to know if this has lube....pulling the fill plug, can you dip a pinky and find grease?
The movement I'm getting is up/down and side to side... haven't really looked into it yet but I was thinking it was bearings worn out...