• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Replacing clutch slave cylinder

ColinLM

Platinum Level Sponsor
Back in July I removed the clutch slave cylinder on my Series V in order to replace it,
and I violated my rule of taking a quick photo at the beginning of the job.
Before I could complete the job I sustained an injury that has kept me away from the car since then.
When re-installing the slave cylinder does it mount on the engine side of the bell housing or on the transmission side?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
On the bell housing side.

If you have the rubber boot, I find it easiest to install the push rod onto the clutch pivot fork arm (push rod not connected to the clutch slave), put the boot into place, press the push rod into the slave cylinder, then work the end of the boot over the rubber seal on the clutch slave.

Mike

1697406044763.png

Last edited:

mikephillips

Donation Time
Easy way to remember is that you want the slave to push on the bellhousing when you press the pedal, not pull on the bolts and housing. And when on the other side the pushrod is too short to disengage the clutch.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Quick thought as a reminder. ( I made the mistake ) . Be sure to have the bleeder on top to allow air out.
Glad your on the mend.
Bob

ColinLM

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thank you guys for excellent info. I am looking forward to completing this repair and getting back in the road.