• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Replacement Seats for S V

webineer

Bronze Level Sponsor
Gentleman,
I have an easy one this time. My Series V has a broken drivers seat and I have had no luck finding a replacement that is not rusted out so I wondered if an MG or Triumph seat would bolt in?
What do you think?
Thanks,
Paul

alpine_64

Donation Time
Unlikely to be a direct bolt in as the triumphs MG's tended to have different width seats naarow on tr's wider on mgb. I would guess that a wanted add in the forum would turn up a frame for you. As a side note if you are rebuilding seats, the alpine microcell seats are superior to the try and mg onesfir comfort by a long way.

mferris

Donation Time
I have two SVs.

First one came (to me) with what I was told were MGB seats in degraded condition. They look about like this in both style and comfort - you can see the mounts underneath are not like the Alpine's:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/381177656964?lpid=82&chn=ps

The were not direct bolt-in and the previous owner had crafted a (horrible) way of mounting to the floorpans after removing the original welded-in part that the Alpine seat rails bolt to.

Since I had to redo the floorpans anyway - I just ripped out everything welded 4 hardened bolts to the new floorpans and then installed a set of nice $125 miata seats I found at a yard locally.

The second SV came degraded/ripped but original Alpine seats - so I paid Sunbeam Specialities for a complete set of foams and covers and redid the seats myself include cleaning/sealing/repainting the frames.

The Miata seats are an amazingly nice fit and much safer than the originals. Better than my modern family cars.

The rebuilt Alpine seats about 8/10's of the comfort and 5/10 the safety-feel of the Miata's - but look so much better.

I cannot tell if it was the seats, or the condition of the foam - but when I drove the first car with the MGBs I never felt either safe or comfortable. They looked much more period than the Miata's.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I installed seats from a Miata MX5 in both the red V6 and Ol' Blue. easy to install. Very comfortable.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
both of my sets are from the 2nd generation MX5 - 1999 to 2005. I do not know if they changed anything after 2005.

lots of the 2nd gen available. I paid $100 for each set plus shipping. Look in
car-parts.com. to see what is available in your area.

bashby

Donation Time
I have 1990 Miata seats in my SV, Mr. Mikes offers very nice covers for them and as Paul said they are very easy to install.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a set of 1995 M Edition Miata seats that will go into my V6 when the time comes. These seats were the only ones offered (at least in the US) with a separate headrest. (see http://s175.photobucket.com/user/Woodyhfd/media/Unspecified Miata/UnspecifiedMiata075.jpg.html) I wanted these because I felt like they looked a little more 'appropriate' for the car. Mine need to be recovered and I'll probably have covers made that look closer to the stock Alpine seats.

I test fit the seats to my SV and while they were very comfortable and did feel safer than stock, no matter what I did they sat just a little bit higher than stock and my knees rubbed a bit on the steering wheel. I will probably also put a 14" steering wheel on the V6 to make up for the difference, but I am always interested in how others have mounted theirs. So, Pete and Bashby and anyone else using Miata seats: pictures of your seat mounts would be very much appreciated!

bashby

Donation Time
As I was re-doing the entire car I cut off part of the OEM mount, made some steel "housings" for G8 bolts, reinforced the areas and welded the bolt "housings" into place and used the OEM Miata seat tracks.

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

mferris

Donation Time
Here is the mount I built for each of the 4 corners of my Miata seats. Just welded that to the floorpans after positioning the seat correctly. Height adjustable with a wrench since there are nuts on either side of the seat frame mount.

http://bit.ly/1Ak82T0

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Jim

My installation of Miata seats was quite straightforward. I did not attempt to use the original Alpine tracks. Instead I used the tracks that came with the Miata seats. I positioned the seats so that I have maximum forward and back travel and drilled new mounting holes as required and bolted them in. I did use large washers, similar to those used in seat belt installations, under the floor to provide additional strength. That's all I did.

In one car I am using a wooden 15" wheel from an Alpine GT and do not have any leg clearance issues. The other has a 15" Moto-Lita steering wheel and again, I do not have any clearance issues.

hope you are well! Pete

I have a set of 1995 M Edition Miata seats that will go into my V6 when the time comes. These seats were the only ones offered (at least in the US) with a separate headrest. (see http://s175.photobucket.com/user/Woodyhfd/media/Unspecified Miata/UnspecifiedMiata075.jpg.html) I wanted these because I felt like they looked a little more 'appropriate' for the car. Mine need to be recovered and I'll probably have covers made that look closer to the stock Alpine seats.

I test fit the seats to my SV and while they were very comfortable and did feel safer than stock, no matter what I did they sat just a little bit higher than stock and my knees rubbed a bit on the steering wheel. I will probably also put a 14" steering wheel on the V6 to make up for the difference, but I am always interested in how others have mounted theirs. So, Pete and Bashby and anyone else using Miata seats: pictures of your seat mounts would be very much appreciated!

Alpine66

Donation Time
I picked up some rx8 seats but haven't installed them yet.
Going to be a bit if a challenge but worth it I think.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just installed RX7 seats. They are a difficult install (or maybe its just me) and at 21" wide, by most any standard, too wide for the Alpine. The drivers seat is not centered on the steering wheel, but I think we will adjust to it. I think a seat would have to be about 18" wide to properly center. How wide are the Miata seats?

They have adjustable head rests which work fine as seat belt positioners.

The head rest does not have to be raised that far to clear the belt, just to the first click.

Bill