• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Replacement of driver's side window

tvoltagg

Silver Level Sponsor
My name is Tom Voltaggio and an owner of a Series V Alpine B9403872 I purchased in 1970. I drove it to work and around town for 45 years and the body was restored twice. It was purchased in Ft Worth, Texas and I drove it to my job move to suburban Chicago and then on the Cherry Hill, NJ, near Philadelphia. The reason why I call it modified is that I replaced the twin Strombergs with a Weber
Since 2017, I've been storing my car. It was running fine at the time. Several years after storage in my garage, the driver's side window shattered when I closed the door too hard. It totally disintegrated. It's still sitting where it happened. I'm not sure who can replace or create a new window. I believe the window raising and lowering mechanism still works, so someone just has to replace or create a window within the door.
Is there a location where it can happen commercially? Windshield replacer doing side work? A window creator and installer? This is not work I can do myself.
Can anyone give me advice on how and/or where it can be replaced?

Tom Voltaggio
tom@voltaggio.net

1708260356644.jpeg

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hi Tom,

The VIN you mentioned is from a series 4, not series 5. It was built in March 1964. See https://sunbeamalpine.org/production-build-dates/

Being a series 4 would explain having the 'SUNBEAM' letters above the grill opening in your photo. Series 5 doesn't have that lettering. Many parts are interchangeable across series 4 and 5, but it would be best to make sure you know which series you have before acquiring replacement parts. You will find some info showing visual differences between series 4 & 5 here: https://www.teae.org/alpine-series-stock-judging/
e.g. do you have rounded corners on the hood, door, and trunk? Do you have the metal enclosures for storing the soft top?

You should figure out if you have a 1600 or 1725 motor. You should find a VIN number stamped on the engine block near the oil filter.

There is no firm guidance for when to use the 'Modified' category versus 'Stock' category. Generally the Modified category is used when folks are putting non-Alpine motors and drive trains into Alpines. A Weber carb swap on an Alpine motor is often discussed in the Stock category. You are asking about replacing a stock window in a stock door. Feel free to use the Stock category for that.

Mike

tvoltagg

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi Tom,

The VIN you mentioned is from a series 4, not series 5. It was built in March 1964. See https://sunbeamalpine.org/production-build-dates/

Being a series 4 would explain having the 'SUNBEAM' letters above the grill opening in your photo. Series 5 doesn't have that lettering. Many parts are interchangeable across series 4 and 5, but it would be best to make sure you know which series you have before acquiring replacement parts. You will find some info showing visual differences between series 4 & 5 here: https://www.teae.org/alpine-series-stock-judging/
e.g. do you have rounded corners on the hood, door, and trunk? Do you have the metal enclosures for storing the soft top?

You should figure out if you have a 1600 or 1725 motor. You should find a VIN number stamped on the engine block near the oil filter.

There is no firm guidance for when to use the 'Modified' category versus 'Stock' category. Generally the Modified category is used when folks are putting non-Alpine motors and drive trains into Alpines. A Weber carb swap on an Alpine motor is often discussed in the Stock category. You are asking about replacing a stock window in a stock door. Feel free to use the Stock category for that.

Mike

tvoltagg

Silver Level Sponsor
My apologies regarding my description of my Alpine. It is most definitely a Series IV. Many people took it for a Series V because before I bought it in 1970, the prior owner took out the stock Series IV single Solex and replaced it with the dual Stromberg 150 carbs that was standard on the Series V. Even I committed a typo describing the car here. My apologies.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Probably your best bet is too remove the good window, take it to a glass shop and have the glass copied. The glass is the same, both sides of the car. Replacing the glass is usually pretty straight forward reusing all the "small" parts. You probably should replace the fuzzy glass channel, (both sides) which serve to seal and stop rattles.
Bill