• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Replacement Booster Bracket

chris

Donation Time
I bought a Lockheed brake booster from Sunbeam Specialties to replace the original Girling booster on my Sv. Has anyone come up with a bracket to mount the Lockheed unit in the original location? I'm hoping I don't have to reinvent the wheel here. My fingers are crossed.

Chris

Jim E

Donation Time
I made one from the bracket that came with the replacement, not sure I can get a picture of it being mounted on the car but will try.

Oh but I got mine from VB.

mackem

Donation Time
I'm about to install a Lockeed, but it didn't come with a bracket, I have the original Girling bracket. Anyone got any photos of what it should look like fitted?

Jim E

Donation Time
Not sure how much this will help but here are a couple pictures of how I did it on my S3. The install instructions, as I recall, required you clock the booster and have it at an upward angle, more or less how mine is, at least that is how I read the instructions, which also called for a loop in the vacuum hose.

Attachments

• IMG_3235.JPG
    IMG_3235.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3233.JPG
    IMG_3233.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 67

mackem

Donation Time
Thanks for those photos Jim, unfortunatly I don't have any instructions either. I will do a google search for fitting instructions.

ALC 68A

Donation Time
Chris
I did this job recently on my Series 3. The booster (we call it a servo over here!) has three threaded studs on the front of the vacuum chamber and came with a large angled metal bracket with mounting holes for these studs and a smaller vertical bracket shaped like a letter "P" at the top to clamp around the servo body. There was nowhere to fix the large bracket, so I bent up a new mounting from some metal strapping obtained from a builders merchant, which fixes to two of the studs on the vacuum chamber and bolts to a hole in the inner wing above the wheel arch. The servo has to be mounted on a downward facing angle, but the "P" bracket was too tall and made the servo point downwards too much. With some trial and error I shortened the bracket and bent its base at an angle, so that the servo was at approximately the same slope as it would have been if I had used the supplied mounting. I then drilled two holes in the bottom of the "P" bracket and bolted it into two of the holes in the chassis rail intended for the Girling mounting. I also made a new longer metal loop to go round the vacuum chamber to fix it to the original mounting for the loop round the Girling. This puts the servo in the same position as the old one, more or less as in Jim E's pictures, although as mine is a right hand drive car, I mounted it so that the hydraulic pipe union is at the top for an easy connection to the master cylinder. I don't know how the pipe runs on a left hand drive car. Good luck.

Steve

mackem

Donation Time
Chris
I mounted it so that the hydraulic pipe union is at the top for an easy connection to the master cylinder. I don't know how the pipe runs on a left hand drive car. Good luck.

Steve

I downloaded some instructions, according to the instructions, the unit is to be fitted at a 30 deg angle, which puts the slave cylinder inlet port facing the bottom water pump pipe area, would this be right? Mine is right hand drive