• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Replaced my top

Alpine66

Donation Time
Finally got the top for my V after a months wait, and got started on replacing it.

Ive never installed a top and my basket case had no old top to see how it was previously installed.
Worse, No instructions came with the new top, nor were there any on the website.
I never let a lack of knowledge stop me :D......

I decided to start in the back at the center to keep the seam on the back bow, and work it out and then up to the front from there.

I have it all in now, but it was a bit of a challenge and I have some things to resolve. Waiting on an answer from the top company as to why the top isn't quite wide enough to cover in the front and why the hardware doesn't include the required fasteners for the side pieces behind the doors.

Attachments

• 3 - Copy.jpg
    3 - Copy.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 67

gary1725

Donation Time
just a word of warning - It looks like the rods that hold the header bow have their springs missing which means they tip back further than they should - this can cause them to "pinch" and tear the hood if you are not careful..

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
A few suggestions, but maybe a bit late;

1) in your second pic it looks like you did not pull the material all the way toward the right side of the car as you attached the rear attaching strip. That's why it has a little fold about half way between center and side at the rear.

2) Can't tell from pics but I hope you did not capture the top material under the two aluminum "flange" pieces at the sides of the rear area. They are not supposed to hold the cloth like the rear strip does. A very common error.

3) check that the vertical frame posts align with the rear edge of the side windows. And make sure that the bolt that attaches the vertical post to the hinge is free to pivot as the top is raised and lowered. This bolt uses a nylock nut to allow it to stay in place on the bolt while still being slightly loose to allow it to pivot. See some discussion here about this in posts 9-11 here:
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16688

4) read this Installation instructions:
http://teae.org/on-the-installation-of-a-convertible-top/

Tom

Last edited: