• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Repair Bakelite Glove Box Surround

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
While I hate to rain on the parade, I have mixed luck with glue/ epoxy/ jb weld etc. In my experience , if the bit requires stressing/ twisting the weakened spot, getting it back in place, it is likely to break. With my glove box surround, the repair failed, but on my steering wheel, the repair worked pretty well.
I was able to source another surround— its been awhile now, but it might have come from Mark— volvoguy. You really have nothing to lose with a repair, but know that the surround is available used— there might be some hunting required, but they are out there.
Good luck
Thanks for the referral, Andrew. Yup, you have a good memory as I set you up with a cubby surround in 2017.

BTW, at the time I suggested you try my preferred method of using Fiebing Leather Dye to restore the finish. If you did follow my recommendation, maybe you can share your experience of how it (the dye) held up after 6+ years?

Happy Holidays, Mark ..... volvoguys

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
I took Mike Kings suggestion of using rubbing compound to bring the original finish back, worked great. Original Bakelite was a cool color, the compound brings it back to it's former glory.