• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Removing the transmission Sv 4 speed synchro non OD

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
1966 sunbeam alpine series V pretty much stock

I think it is time to bite the bullet. Front seal leaks and it is annoying. Everything else is great.

i have read many posts and studied the WSM on removing just the trans from my car, but I still have some questions. The steps in the WSM are pretty clear, but in reading posts , it does not seem necessary that all the WSM steps need be followed.

First ) Can anyone produce a step procedure for dropping the trans from series V that does not contain all the steps the WSM states? Thanks in advance for your help!!!

2) I have read that some people a) do not remove radiator hoses b) do not loosen motor mounts c) place wood between valve cover and firewall.

I am simply looking to be as efficient/ simple as possible. i suppose the WSM had a reason to list all their steps, but my experience has been — sometimes there is just a better way to do something that the manuals do not acknowledge.

Thanks for any help here— will probably wait til Fall and leak/top up my way through the summer.
Andrew
Sandy, Oregon

RootesRacer

Donation Time
You will probably want to remove the rad so the fan doesnt clobber the rad when you remove the trans xmember. If you just remove the fan and remove the hoses you may get by but that doesnt seem much of a time savings considering how tight the space is to remove the fan...

ChrisR

Donation Time
I agree with rad removal. When I installed an Overdrive trans, the rad was already out. I used the chunk of wood between the valve cover and firewall to stop the engine rotating too much. You need just enough rotation to let the gearbox pull rearwards to disengage from the clutch.
I also had the car lifted about 18" (wheels on blocks)

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
1966 sunbeam alpine series V pretty much stock

I think it is time to bite the bullet. Front seal leaks and it is annoying. Everything else is great.

i have read many posts and studied the WSM on removing just the trans from my car, but I still have some questions. The steps in the WSM are pretty clear, but in reading posts , it does not seem necessary that all the WSM steps need be followed.

First ) Can anyone produce a step procedure for dropping the trans from series V that does not contain all the steps the WSM states? Thanks in advance for your help!!!

2) I have read that some people a) do not remove radiator hoses b) do not loosen motor mounts c) place wood between valve cover and firewall.

I am simply looking to be as efficient/ simple as possible. i suppose the WSM had a reason to list all their steps, but my experience has been — sometimes there is just a better way to do something that the manuals do not acknowledge.

Thanks for any help here— will probably wait til Fall and leak/top up my way through the summer.
Andrew
Sandy, Oregon
Pulling the trans is not that tough! Here is what I have done.
1. Get the front of the car about 18 inches off the ground and the rear about 6 inches. For the rear I used cinder blocks in the front jack stands.
2. Drain the oil in the trans. Put a pan under the rear of the trans there is residual oil in it.
3 remove the drive shaft.
4. Remove the top radiator hose.
5. Remove the fan and pulley.
6 . Loosen the motor mount bolts on the motor plate.
7. Put a piece of 2x4 between the valve cover and the firewall.
8. Support the trans with a jack.
Un bolt the cross member from the trans and body.
9 . Remove the shift lever gaiter and shift boot.
10. Remove the 4 screws from the shifter.
11. Lower the jack under the trans about 3-4 inches remove the bolts holding the trans to the engine.
12. Remove the trans.

a few hints disconnect the battery, raise both the front and rear of the car or you will have to be a contortionist. When I was younger in my thirties I could replace a clutch in about 5 hours. Mow it’s two days because I’m old!

Acollin

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks all

Hey Gordon

whenI compare your list to the WSM, there are a few things to question. Please know that I am painfully literal when it come to following direction!!!!!

you did not include in your list things like ; disconnecting fuel supply line at pump, oil gauge pipe, exhaust flange, etc. Am I to believe that the items on your list are the only directions I need to follow?

air cleaners, coil, accelerator control and choke linage???

I do not have a problem doing the WSM list— I was hoping to avoid extraneous stuff. Ex: I will remove the radiator , but it would have been nice not to —-if only not having to make additional arrangements to dispose of antifreeze.

Thanks all for any and all advice/ experience.
Andrew