• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Removing rear dif breather

cobraii78

Donation Time
Hello everyone,

Not sure if this has been asked before, but I'm wanting to remove and replace the breather on my series 5 rear differential. I'm pretty sure it is the original one that came with the car from new. When I attempt to grab it by the cap it just spins. If I lift the cap, there is nowhere to grab onto it to get it to unthread it from the dif. Any ideas on how to remove? Also, where can I get a new one?

Thanks,

Mike

65beam

Donation Time
If memory serves me correctly there were 4 different breathers used over the years. The early ones were a bolt with a hole drilled thru them and the later had the cap over them to prevent the clogging with dirt and junk that happened to the early ones. The threads were all 5/16 fine thread. Unscrew it and clean it because I doubt that you'll ever find a new one. It seems everything is working if the cap moves.

cobraii78

Donation Time
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to unscrew it to clean it, but am not sure where to grab it so it will unscrew. the cap just spins, and i can't find anywhere else to grab onto it to break it free. I am getting a lot of leakage from it when i drive the car. Always seem to have fluid dripping from the dif after i drive the car. So if this is normal then it's working fine.

65beam

Donation Time
Don't try to remove the cap that swivels. It's part of the vent. The entire unit unscrews from the housing. Look and you'll see what looks like a bolt head at the housing. Put your wrench on that and unscrew the entire unit. The leaks are probably coming from the pinion seal or axle seals.