• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Reminder, be careful under a car

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
Just a reminder how things can go sour so very quickly while working underneath a car.
On this past Friday, late in the afternoon, I was feeling tired and it was getting cold in the garage. I wanted to take my car off the jack stands, as all winter maintenance under the car was completed.
Front stands were a easy and quick. Rather than jacking up each side of the car to remove the rear jack stands one at a time, I thought I would jack up the rear axle pumpkin and remove both at the same time. Laying on my left side, behind the car, not actually under it, lifting the rear axle the jack slipped, as if in slow motion, the car shifted about 6 inches to the left and back towards me about 12 inches, coming over the stands. As the car moved back, it moved over me, and came to rest on me.
There I was, completely trapped. My right arm and shoulder were jammed into the space between the rear bumper and the body, limited movement of my arm, just a bit from elbow down. My left arm was jammed under my rib cage, again unable to move it, except from the elbow down. Nothing seemed to be broken, no cuts, I could breathe, but not deeply. This was good.
No one was home, my cell phone was in my breast pocket but because of my limited arm movement I could not reach it. This was bad. I could reach the jack somehow, got it under the axle because of very limited arm movement I could not apply enough leverage to raise the car.
No choice but to wait until my wife returns home and to rescue me. Which she did, about 20 minutes later.
I was lucky, no injuries but man am I stiff and sore from being jammed into too small and awkward places.
So, don't, for your sake, take shortcuts like this under your car.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am very thankful you did not suffer any broken bones or get to where you could not breath.

Things like this happen so soundly the response time in most cases is not adequate.

Your Guardian Angel was on guard,

DanR

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
I had a similar situation. But it was an aluminum jack on a slightly unlevel lift. It suddenly bent sideways.

That sounds like a long 20 minutes....

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Glad to see you are able to post this bad/good news. Any idea why the car slipped off the jack? What kind of jack was it? An extraordinary high lift? The cup on the jack not centered on the pumpkin? Bottle jack with no cup or wheels? Did the car roll off the jack? Geez, with all these questions you'd think I'm an expert at getting hurt with a jack, wouldn't you?
Bill

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Glad you came out OK. I have the car up on cribbing in the front and jack stands in the back while I have the entire rear end out of the car. I will be careful when I go to put it back in. My wife does not like me working under the car when she isn't around. Maybe she is right.

Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Glad you are ok! I have an Amazon Echo in my garage just for this possibility: "Alexa! Call 911". Of course, being able to say "Alexa. Shuffle my stations on Pandora is nice, too.

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
That is an excellent idea.
I have since found out that if I say to my iPhone, Hey Seri call 911, that it will.
It’s not too late to teach us old dogs new tricks!