• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Red Tail Reborn

jack Bacon

Donation Time
This P-51C Mustang was restored by the Minnesota Wing of the Commerative Air Force after being acquired from a Montana technical school. It is one of the four remaining P-51C Mustangs in existence. It was decided to restore the plane in rememberance of the Tuskegee Airmen thus name the Red Tail Project.

The P-51C Mustang "Tuskegee Airmen" was tragically lost, along with it's pilot and the leader of the Red Tail Project, Don Hinz, on May 29, 2004 due to a mechanical failure and subsequent off airport landing near Bay City Wisconsin. Don had just completed a high speed pass at the Wings of Freedom Air Show with "Tuskegee Airmen" when the sudden and unexpected failure of the Y drive caused the engine to suddenly and completely stop.

The Mustang is again being restored and will be at the Wings of Freedom Air Show in the near future. Don Hinz will be inducted into the Minnesota Aviation Hall of Fame this year.

Attachments

• don1.jpg
    don1.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 12

skywords

Donation Time
That's a tragedy. I hope he did not suffer. Those aircraft are getting fewer and less affordable by the day. I had a ride in the back of a D model once, very nice flyer. With Avgas creeping toward five buck a gallon not much chance of one in my hanger.

jack Bacon

Donation Time
Don and his P-51C landed in a grove of trees near the Red Wing airport in Bay City, Wisconsin (right across the river from Red Wing).

The Wings of Freedom Air Show put on by the Minnesota Wing of the Commerative Air Force is scheduled this year May 23-25 at the Red Wing Airport in Bay City, Wisconsin.

http://www.cafmn.org/

Regards,

Jack

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jack what is a "Y" drive? Tried to google it and got either a bunch of of computer stuff when I tried "y drive" or FORD Mustang hits when I tried "Mustang Y drive".

Bill

mikephillips

Donation Time
I think it's the camshaft drive assembly. In the Merlin they're driven by a shaft assembly from the crank to each cylinder bank for the overhead cams, thus the name Y drive.

Nickodell

Donation Time
You're probably right:

Drive.jpg

jack Bacon

Donation Time
Makes sense and thanks for the photo. I joined the Commerative Air Force last fall and was slow in joining my local wing here in South St. Paul, Minnesota. They actually called me and are looking forward to my help on their projects! How's that for making someone feel welcome! When you join your local wing, they actually assign you to a member who introduces you to everybody, get's you acquainted with the projects, and puts you to work!
A great organization and a great bunch of guys. Here are some photos of our aircraft -
B-25J Mitchell Bomber
P-51C Mustang
PBY Catalina (2)
BT-13 Valiant
Harvard MkIV (AT-6 Texan)
Stinson L-5A Sentinel

Regards,

Jack

mike_also

Diamond Level Sponsor
I understand the later Mustangs (bubble canopies) were powered by RR Merlins and the early ones (framed canopies) by Allisons. The P-51 in the pictures shows the early canopy. What were the C's powered by?

mikephillips

Donation Time
The P-51B, C and D were all Merlin powered, in fact Packard license built Merlins. The P-51A was Allison powered. You can tell the difference between them by looking at the cowling. The A did not have the chin scoop, it had one mounted on the top of the cowl. Now as a trivia question, what's the only difference between the P-51B and P-51C??

Nickodell

Donation Time
I believe the P51C was a P51B manufactured in Dallas, Tx., instead of the main North American plant in So. Cal.

By the way, did you know that British actually named it Mustang, an moniker that was later adopted by the USAAF?

mikephillips

Donation Time
You got it Nick. Bs were built in Inglewood Ca and Cs in Dallas. did you know that when Packard started building the Merlin they found that the dozen or so engines supplied by Rolls would not exchange parts?? Apparently so much of the assembly in England was done by hand that there were slight differences from engine to engine and in many cases external parts would not fit when swapped between them.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
You got it Nick. Bs were built in Inglewood Ca and Cs in Dallas. did you know that when Packard started building the Merlin they found that the dozen or so engines supplied by Rolls would not exchange parts?? Apparently so much of the assembly in England was done by hand that there were slight differences from engine to engine and in many cases external parts would not fit when swapped between them.

Sort of like an Alpine?

Bill

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
My favorite WWII fighter plane has always been the F4U Corsair. I still have the drawings I did in 3rd grade class, resulting in a late stay in the principal's office, and have a large wooden model and framed print hanging in my office. :)

You almost never see the Corsair, yet there seems to be more surviving Mustangs. I once spoke to a pilot who had flown both and he said for ultimate power and speed you want the Mustang; for handling and agility you want the Corsair (sort of like Tiger vs. Alpine).

Are there very few surviving Corsairs?

jack Bacon

Donation Time
For a naval aircraft I like the Hellcat. The CAF has a Hellcat in California and a Corsair in Dallas. There are four wings of the CAF in Ohio, one in Indianapolis you could check out sometime.

Whenever I am traveling, I try to see if there is a CAF wing close by. You can usually track them down if you call flight ops at the airport.

Regards,

Jack

Nickodell

Donation Time
My favorite WWII fighter plane has always been the F4U Corsair. I still have the drawings I did in 3rd grade class, resulting in a late stay in the principal's office, and have a large wooden model and framed print hanging in my office. :)

I'm really not trying to sound chauvinistic here, but just stating facts. I watched a History Channel program about the F4U Corsair last year and was surprised that they ignored what to me was a significant part of its development as a carrier fighter.

Initially, the USN concluded that the extremely long nose of the F4U made it so difficult to see ahead in a landing attitude that it was impractical as a carrier plane, where precision in the touchdown is mandatory. They then lend/leased a bunch to the Royal Navy and restricted US use to land-based Marine units (as in Pappy Boyington's "Black Sheep" squadron).

The RN developed a curved, as opposed to a straight-in, approach, allowing the pilot to keep the landing deck in view up to the last few seconds, at which point he would obey the instructions of the Flight Deck Officer with his paddles, which he could still see to the left of that long nose. The USN finally adopted the same procedure, and the F4U went on to rack up a score in the Pacific second only to the F6F.

At the risk of again sounding chauvinistic, the three most important developments of the modern carrier (other than nuclear power): the angled flight deck, optical landing system and steam catapult, were all British. One might perhaps add the armored, as opposed to wooden, flight deck. A RN carrier task force of 4 battleships, 18 carriers and assorted cruisers and smaller craft operated alongside the very much larger USN's in the Pacific in 1945, and several were hit by kamikazes, with none sunk or even suffering major damage. It was a matter of serendipity: the Brits had plenty of steel but very little wood.

Together with their British Seafires and Barracudas, the force had 188 Corsairs, 105 Avengers and 39 F6Fs.

aaa.jpg

HMS Formidable entering Sydney harbor. The blackened funnel is a result of a kamikaze hit.

Nickodell

Donation Time

I also believe that it was decided that the US-built Merlins would use the same Whitworth-thread fasteners as the British-built ones, so Packard had to build an entire production line to make these, and also the wrenches to go with them.

One main difference betweent the US- and British Mustangs was that while the US retained the 6 X .50 machine-gun armament, the Brits changed this to 4 X 20mm cannon in several theaters. The .50 was a powerful gun, and legendary in its reliability, but could not compare with the cannon used by all other belligerents in WWII. Apart from the 4 X greater mass of the 20mm, and the muzzle energy of 54,000 joules vs 15,000j, the cannon was an explosive projectile, using this force, together with simple velocity, to destroy its target. (It has been a continual mystery to military aviation students why the US stubbornly hung onto the .50 machine gun, even through the jet age and into the Korean War, which put the Sabre at a decided disadvantage to the Mig in armament. Luckily, our pilots were better).

Here is a P51A (RAF designation: "Mustang 1") with 4 X 20mm Hispano cannon, in the Desert Air Force. Not shown are the red "socks" used to keep dust and sand out of the cannon barrels, which were blown off when the guns fired. When these were in short supply, the ground crews used military-issue condoms, which were guaranteed tough!

Mustang.gif

Trivia question: Which US Navy fighter also used 4 X 20mm cannon in one version?

jack Bacon

Donation Time
That would be the F8F-1B Bearcat, the successor to the Hellcat. It was smaller, had a lighter airframe, higly manueverable and had a much better rate of climb. It had a Pratt & Whitney R2800 engine with a 12'4" 4 blade prop which required longer landing gear. It was introduced in 1945 too late to see action in the war.

It was popular in air racing and a stock Bearcat won the first Reno Air Race in 1964