• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

"rebuilt" alloy head on e-Bay.

hillmanhuskyguy

Silver Level Sponsor
Do I need this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0392557904&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It says it's for an alpine or tiger, ignore that faux-paus.

Would this be a good upgrade for my soon to be 1725
Minx powered Hillman Husky?

I realize it''s prolly box stock, no voodoo magic on ports etc.
but it should be redone for unleaded, (though I don't think the ad mentions this tidbit) so that would be a start...
What say you oh Sages or the alpine world (as I know it).

Cris

65beam

Donation Time
rebuilt head

the thermostat housing says it's for either a series 1 or 2. it will fit a 1725, but what size motor was the head originally on??

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
If you are replacing the Iron Head on a minx engine with an alloy one you will also need to change the camshaft.

Jim E

Donation Time
Head has decent water passages, the thimble looks a little odd but that could just be the picture. The price is good but the devil is in the details. No mention of hard exhaust seats being installed no mention of guide replacement or three angle valve job or valve spring set up. Provided the guides are good and the work is of decent quality this head is a decent buy considering the value of a good core and the cost of a standard "valve job/surface" which is what this auction item apears to be nothing more nothing less. Typically one of my heads is going to cost about twice this but it is a different piece.

hillmanhuskyguy

Silver Level Sponsor
I've sent an email to the seller asking the questions raised thru my posting.
Again, thanks for the insight.

Cris

hillmanhuskyguy

Silver Level Sponsor
Per the seller on e-Bay: Number on this head is:
1980567 3-14-60 AM-3, two new valves in #4 cylinder all others were reground and reseated. Bronze valve guides and new seals.

If this thing was really made on 3-14-60, that would be the exact day I turned two. How weird is that ? Is it a sign from the devil telling me to buy this ?

Cris

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Thats a series I head, the smallest possible valves, and smallest combutsion chamber.

It would be decent for a 1494 motor I suppose.

hillmanhuskyguy

Silver Level Sponsor
I was offered a free one in need of a rebuild a couple days back.
Your question: What is it you have in mind? Is really just the dilemma
I have with every (damn) vehicle I've ever purchased. They morph into these money pitted though semi quick cars-trucks-racecars.

I never intended to go single or dual sidedraft, but they're just lying around....
Then it's well now it needs to exhale.....from that point on it's off to the races.

To answer your question, I don't know, just kind of going with the flow,
semi quick for what it is, I guess is what I'm shooting for.
Small valves didn't seem to be a good direction to follow. I would at least rebuild to the largest factory sizd valves & then at least matchport to the intake & exhaust. But that's about the heigth of my skill set.

And to prove my point, why do you ask, what do you have (!) ?

Cris

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I was offered a free one in need of a rebuild a couple days back.
Your question: What is it you have in mind? Is really just the dilemma
I have with every (damn) vehicle I've ever purchased. They morph into these money pitted though semi quick cars-trucks-racecars.

I never intended to go single or dual sidedraft, but they're just lying around....
Then it's well now it needs to exhale.....from that point on it's off to the races.

To answer your question, I don't know, just kind of going with the flow,
semi quick for what it is, I guess is what I'm shooting for.
Small valves didn't seem to be a good direction to follow. I would at least rebuild to the largest factory sizd valves & then at least matchport to the intake & exhaust. But that's about the heigth of my skill set.

And to prove my point, why do you ask, what do you have (!) ?

Cris

I have several very nice, and by very nice, I mean without the usual water passage corrosion, and with near stock depth on the wear bar.

I only keep SV heads, so they have the larger valves.

These heads were pulled from run engines, so they would need the usual valve job, and it wouldnt hurt to replace the guides or have them sleeved.

If you wanted, we could build up a rather nice head.

If you are ever in the south boulder/north arvada area, give me a shout.

hillmanhuskyguy

Silver Level Sponsor
I work part time down in Boulder.
I'm the back stage security guy for
the (shameless plug:) nationally syndicated radio show
e-town(.org) that normally tapes at the Boulder Theater
on the pearl street mall. Show fgoes out to over 200 radio
stations across the country, check the website to see when it's on.

I'd love to see your car. I've got a show on the 15th
& will need to be at the venue by 4pm. Maybe we could meet before hand.
My home # is 970dash532dash228oh. Work is 970dash266dash454seven.

I'll have a sv head coming my way for next to nothing in the next week or so.
Who do you use for head work ? My last 'full race' head was done by Heads by Paul for my old vintage racer 67 Mini. Damn I wish I'd kept that car.

Cheers,
Cris

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I work part time down in Boulder.
I'm the back stage security guy for
the (shameless plug:) nationally syndicated radio show
e-town(.org) that normally tapes at the Boulder Theater
on the pearl street mall. Show fgoes out to over 200 radio
stations across the country, check the website to see when it's on.

I'd love to see your car. I've got a show on the 15th
& will need to be at the venue by 4pm. Maybe we could meet before hand.
My home # is 970dash532dash228oh. Work is 970dash266dash454seven.

I'll have a sv head coming my way for next to nothing in the next week or so.
Who do you use for head work ? My last 'full race' head was done by Heads by Paul for my old vintage racer 67 Mini. Damn I wish I'd kept that car.

Cheers,
Cris

Cris,

I dont actually live in Boulder, I live about as north as you can get and still be called Arvada. I am still a good 15 miles south of Boulder.

Like I said if you are ever down this way drop me a line.