• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

rearview mirror

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Options?

:)
Is the chrome and housing on the mirror still in good shape and the mirror itself all scratched? You can take it to any local mirror/glass place and they can replace the curved glass with a modern flat piece and you can make it usable again. Save the curved glass it might be able to be re-silvered then again mine came out really bad unusable. These are very hard to find and in good condition, some have used something off of a jaguar I think, maybe they will chime in ;)

Donna
:D

bbonner

Donation Time
My problem is the bracket that holds the mirror to the car is broken. The mirror is in bad shape and I tried to get the local glass shop to fix it and he refused. But now the metal part is broken and so I need the whole piece I believe. I wonder if one off a 63 will fit??

howard

Donation Time
You might be specific about Series number rather than year model, as these were designated year models=year the car was sold. Even though my SIV was "born" in January 1964, it's listed as a 1965 year model. I'm guessing a SII could be considered a '63 model, alongside a S3.

These mirrors keep popping up on e-Bay. Sometimes they're REAL pricey. I'd echo what Donna said: Hang on to the glass part, at least. Someone may give you money for it in the future. (Have you SEEN the junk people pay for on e-Bay? Half-eaten pop-tarts in the shape of Elvis or "vintage" flyswatters?!?)

Good luck on your quest. (BTW- I believe the SV and Tiger mirrors differed from the SIV, but would fit.)

mikephillips

Donation Time
I wasn't even going to get into the different styles for the series 3 through most of series IV and early tiger as opposed to series V and later Tiger in the post under stock Alpine. In any case the mount holes are the same and they will interchange.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Wingard and other period makers of accessories provide options.

Here is a pic of a Wingard mirror next to a Series IV mirror. The Wingard mirror
has the same fitting as the stock mirror, plus it has the rubber bumper to the windshield found on the Series V mirrors to eliminate shake.

This one came off an Imp, advertised as a 'rally' mirror.

bbonner

Donation Time
Well I don't know I would say that approx what 23 cars difference...it was probably build on the same day or at least the next day. I don't know how many they produced a day but it would seem reasonable that they were on the assembly line together...the are family! WOW. Yours does not have syncronized transmission either than! Boy that took a while to get back in the groove of learning how to shift her. I call my car Hyacinth after the woman in Keeping up appearances I noticed you named your car as well. I wonder how many others do. She is like a friend so I had to have something to acknowledge her by. Oh well so be it. They must be related that close in numbers. What color was yours when she was made? Mine was Wedgewood Blue.

howard

Donation Time
Mine's the ultra-rare Carnival Red:p ...or so it use to be. Someone painted it a slightly darker shade before I bought it. Needs to be painted again. I've got the automatic tranny still in mine, but last weekend I pulled the engine again. Hopefully I'll get 'er on the road SOMETIME this summer!

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Series IV also!

Darn it I am at work and used to have the Vin written down but my Alpine, Vicki is the same year to your guys also. Mine is a GT no soft top, was originally Moonstone (19) with black interior, now it is GM Sapphire blue with black interior since the restoration in 1999-2003. It took that long to restore the car back to something drivable, does have the original motor but all kinds of modifications to get her back on the road, I think they used mustang shocks instead on Koni's because they fit, O well. I Will post the vin tonight once I get home. Named her Vicki since most of the parts came from Victoria British and the fact Queen Victoria and I have something in common we were both widowed at age 42, but Victoria is too English of a name the American slang would be Vicki. Mine also has the non-synchronized tyranny with out Overdrive. Hey I found it knew I had it here somewhere my Vin is B9407390, I am much yonger then both of you, baby of the group!

Donna

bbonner

Donation Time
This one came with an automatic or someone replaced standard with an automatic? You must be having engine problems? Sorry to hear that. I am afraid of that I watch and listen closely as we drive down the road. I keep one eye on the guages and my ears to the engine. I know you can rebuild these engines but I would like to not have to at least for a while.

howard

Donation Time
It came with the Borg-Warner automatic transmission. Underpowered, to be sure, but a real boatload of fun to drive around town.

The original 1600cc engine went out on me a couple of years ago, and I'm currently fitting a replacement/restored 1600cc engine from another Alpine (#5543). I kept the old block for future owners, as it could be restored... if someone has deeper pockets than me. (Lots of internal damage.)

I've seen some pics of Vicki- MIGHTY good lookin'! Love that shade of blue.

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
One in the Gallery

Send me a E-mail and I will attach some pictures, one pic is in the gallery on this forum and I will have to look but I think there is a shot of her on the Invasion VI 2006 pictures, I will have to look again. (nope no pics of Vicki on the Invasion VI)

Donna

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Bev, here is a pic of the rear view mirrors for Series 3 thru Series V. The oval shaped mirror on top is usually associated with Series V (B395) and most Tigers. The smaller rectangular one would be for the Series IV and earlier. They both have the same mounting design to attach to the windshield frame. Also if your car came from the factory with an automatic, the vin tag would have BW (Borg Warner) stamped on the same line as the color code. Jeff