• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear Shock absorber replacement

Barrythebrit

Donation Time
Can anyone let me know the procedure for changing the rear shocks.... looks to be pretty simple but having never done this before I would be grateful for some hints tips.
For example.. how do I have the car and axle supported while changing them over?:confused:
Many thanks

mikephillips

Donation Time
Assuming you have a later series with the tube type shocks. Pretty simple to do. There should be a couple rubber covers on top of the bulkhead separating the trunk from the rear of the cockpit. Remove these and you should see the top studs of the shocks. Remove the nuts retaining them along with the top metal washers and rubber isolator. From the bottom they are fastened to the axle by a bolt on each side, remove the bolt and washer. They should then slide off the axle mount, although if its been awhile you might have to tug or lever on them to break them free. To install new ones make sure the rubber isolator is on the shock, should be one for each side of the hole in the bulkhead, from under the car extend the shock and poke the top stud through the hole. Put the shock on the axle stud and install the bolt and washer. Fron the trunk install the upper isolator rubber, steel washer and nuts. And you're done.

One thing to keep in mind. Make sure the overall travel of the shocks is long enough. If they're too short and you drive on rough roads it's possible for the axle to try to travel beyond the length of the shocks and to pull them through the upper mount holes, possibly taking some of the metal with them.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just changed mine on my SV and Mike's post is exactly right. When I pulled my old ones off, whoever put them on did not put on the bottom rubber, mysterious noise in the back is now gone!

RootesRich

Donation Time
To answer your question regarding the support of the car and/ or axle, if you are not disconnecting the axle from the rear leaf springs (assuming the leaf springs are attached to the body) supporting either one is fine.
I'm a huge proponent of wheel ramps unless an axle stand is absolutely necessary, so in my case I raise the car on ramps and then unbolt the shocks.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I just changed mine on my SV and Mike's post is exactly right. When I pulled my old ones off, whoever put them on did not put on the bottom rubber, mysterious noise in the back is now gone!

I wouldn't necessarily blame the last guy (and no it was not me, or anyone I know). On my Alpine, at some point I replaced the front A arm bushings. Then years later, the rubber was GONE. Well, most of it was gone. It was pretty obvious it cracked and crumbled, and all came out - making it appear as though it was never there.

Barrythebrit

Donation Time
Thanks all, I replaced the shocks easily and without stress.... and more importantly without the car landing on my head!!
The back end is much less jittery.