• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear end questions

altered

Donation Time
While waiting for my conversion kit among other parts I want to install the hardened woodruff keys I have. Can I get some suggestions on parts or bearings that I most likely need to replace or are common to needing replacement while I have things apart.

Thanks, Trevor.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
If you are planning to actually tear into it, pull the axles so you can get the third member out and tighten the ring gear bolts.

While you are in there:

Consider replacing the outer bearings (takes the greatest load), inner bearings only if needed.
Replace the axle seals if equipped.
Replace the pinion seal.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Besides tightening the bolts, you may want to replace the washers under them with hardened washers, which according to many is the cause of the loosening. Also check the vent to ensure it's open and clear.

altered

Donation Time
I have been researching as much info as I can find on the subject. I have read Jim E's article on hub removal. It looks like hub removal is the move to replace the woodruff keys, will the axles be an easy removal with the hubs out or am I missing something? Once the axles are out it seems like I should be able to unbolt the third member as a unit and tighten or replace the ring gear bolts?

Thanks, Trevor.

kmathis

Donation Time
When you are getting ready to pull the hubs, loosen the large axle nut, but don't remove it...back it off to the end of the axle and then use the puller to remove the hubs. When I did mine, it was tighten, tighten, tighten and then give it a couple of good whacks with a good size hammer, then tighten and tighten and a couple more good whacks and you are getting close to breaking the hub loose. If you remove the nut altogether you run the risk of mushrooming the end of the axle and when that hub breaks loose it could do some injury if that nut wasn't on there to stop it.
Once the hubs are off, the axles just pull right out with some effort. On mine I put the washer and nut back on and wrapped a chain around it and gave it a couple of good tugs and out it came. Be careful that it dosn't get away from you and go scootin' across the garage floor. :)

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
These axle hubs and their removal, are just two more good reasons to replace the stock Alpine rear end with a Ford 8", especially if you intend on the high power version of the V6, plus want to drive it hard.

Jose

altered

Donation Time
I have the 8" rear end sitting there, but it will be a while before I can get around to getting it narrowed. That will be a next winter project.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
RootesRacer is correct. After pulling the hubs, unbolting the backing plates will seem like a picnic!