• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Re: Zdp

Nickodell

Donation Time
Here is a source of ZDP. (I have no connection with the company).

img110.jpg

65beam

Donation Time
zdp

moss is selling ZDP in four ounce bottles for mixing with the oils being sold today . when mixed with four quarts it raises the zdp level to 0.15 percent, with five quarts ,it's 0.12 percent which is the recommended amount .they are selling a 20/50 oil with zdp in it .

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Ok. For us who don't have degrees in Chemical Engineering.... What's ZDP? And why do we need it?:eek:

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Zinc dithiophosphate (ZDP, or sometimes ZDDP) is a wear and corrosion inhibitor found in nearly all automotive lubricants. However, since the zinc in the compound can coat and later clog modern catalytic converters, it has been significantly reduced in recent years. However, by reduction of this compound motor oils, older engines who's bearings and surfaces were designed for ZDP-containing oils tend to wear a lot faster, particularly on break-in. Since we have no catalytic converters, there's no down-side in adding ZDP to our oil, and it will significantly improve the lubrication and life of the motor.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
This is the reason I recommend using Mobil 1 synthetic oil, after the engine is broken in. I also recommend using the 20/50 viscosity, especially if you live in a warm climate.

Jose

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jose,

Which engine are you talking about here, the stock Alpine engine or the V6?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, as I said in my post on the other thread (link), my suggestion re ZDP would be controversial and some folks will disagree. I use it.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Well, as I said in my post on the other thread (link), my suggestion re ZDP would be controversial and some folks will disagree. I use it.

Kevin, some might disagree, but as of a couple of years ago, the after market cam grinders were in agreement, use ZDP oil in any engine that had their high performance slider cam or no warranty. That should mean something to everyone. I would include Alpines and V6's with non stock cam as high performance cams.

Don't know how synthetic oils fit into this picture. Since I don't use them (engines seem to outlast bodies these days) , don't really care at the moment.

Bill

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Gentlemen, thank you. Now a clarification. Diesel oils. Are you suggesting something like Delo? Which viscosity?

kipmotor

Donation Time
We use diesel oil. Try it and you'll notice a drop in oil consumption and drips. Conversely, when conventional oil is used in an older diesel engine, consumption dramatically increases.

Never use synthetic or semi-synthetic oil during break-in. These type oils should only be used with modern engine designs. Their use in our type engines will result in higher consumption and leakage.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I agree with Kip. Most good diesel oils have ZDP in sufficient quantity, hence the reason for using them over using standard motor oil. Reason is, of course, that diesel oil doesn't have to worry about a catalytic converter being harmed by it since diesel engines don't have'em!

I also agree with his statement regarding break-in... you want a certain amount of friction to bed in the rings, and too slippery of an oil like Mobil 1 or similar could prevent proper ring seating and end up burning more oil than you expected. And I agree that synthetics should never be used in an older engine - it will get right past those old dried-out seals and you'll find more leaks than you ever could have imagined!

However, I differ with Kip in that if your engine has been freshly rebuilt with all new seals, and has had time to fully bed-in (say 2000 miles or so), then I've nothing against using a synthetic oil with ZDP additive.

Personal opinion only, your mileage may vary. Batteries not included.

65beam

Donation Time
zdp

i believe diesel oils don't have that much zdp in it now . the truck manufacturers started putting converters on trucks in 2003 . i bought several new internationals that year and the converter was built into the muffler . they had cat motors .i also bought new medium duty trucks with converters on them starting at that time .

lgurley

Donation Time
Hi Mike,

I think any engine would benefit from using a Synthetic.

Jose
I certainly have no knowledge about the Alpine or the V6 oil application but I have a 1989 Silverado 350 which has had nothing but Castrol full synthetic oil since I bought it in 1992 and it uses no oil and runs like new after 261,000 miles. My 1999 Bonneville V6 has had the same type oil since new and performs like new, however it only has 87,000 miles. Until someone can show me why not I will use this oil in all my vehicles until they fail me.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Most new cars are filled with synthetic oil at the factory.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Change_New_Car_Synthetics.aspx

I guess ring/bore break-in, what small amount is needed, is mostly done before delivery. Instead of the tedious long break-in of the past, with an oil change after the first 500 miles, all they ask of you today is neither to let the engine race nor "lug" in high gear for the first few 1,000, after which knock yourself out.

You can get Shell Rotella diesel oil at such outlets as K-Mart.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I agree with Kip. Most good diesel oils have ZDP in sufficient quantity, hence the reason for using them over using standard motor oil. Reason is, of course, that diesel oil doesn't have to worry about a catalytic converter being harmed by it since diesel engines don't have'em!

There are catalytic converters (DPF-Diesel Particulate Filters) on diesel trucks now. They became necessary with the 2007 EPA standards for diesels.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I have used Mobil 1 in all my engines, after they were broken in, and have had nothing but success. My engines were raced regularly, driven in all kinds of weather and every day, yet when I have taken them down to check them, the inside looked like they were just rebuilt. The only reason I took them apart is because, being a speed freak, I would change the rings, after 100,000 miles, because it performed better with them, after that kind of mileage and abuse. The engines didn´t even smoke, but I wanted it to be at the top of it´s game. I didn´t even have to bore the cylinders, because there was virtually no wear in them.

I have driven the car at 90 mph for hours at a time, down the central valley in California. The temperature was about 90 degrees and the oil temp was at 250 degrees, yet the engine suffered no damage. If I had been running regular parafin based oils, the engine would have been toast. Synthetic oils are the best, IMOH.

Jose