• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Radio for 67 Alpine

chimpodunker

Donation Time
I would like to install a radio without butchering interior, dash, or door panels. Anybody have any ideas? How about a hidden antenna? I am going to replace the dash and saw a modified dash with a glove box door. Could mount inside the glove box area. Probably need surface mount speakers behind the seats. Let me know how you did yours.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here are a few PIC's that might give you some ideas.

The radio and the hangar bracket is original Alpine.

There are lots of other pictures available for more exact details....

Attachments

• DSC02912.JPG
    DSC02912.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC02915.JPG
    DSC02915.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC02916.JPG
    DSC02916.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 78

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Why not do what would have been done in 1967? Just get a modern replacement "looks like an old pushbutton" radio.

6620-261d2ff4f83100a0c9ba3abc237738ab.jpg

Picture borrowed from the Gallery; think the car belongs to member 65beam?

Last edited:

Charles Johns

Donation Time
The "T-Bucket" guys built a box that holds the radio and 2 speakers right over the hump. I think Sunbeam put the radio there with one speaker. With a right/left stereo radio both can be installed with zero mods to the car panels. I think a pic is on-line somewhere.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
On my list of alleged improvements. I'll probably go with under-dash speakers in their own boxes (small cast-aluminum hi-fi speakers) and a hidden bluetooth amplifier with perhaps a built-in tuner, via remote. But after doing that I will probably mount the non-working AM radio I have, too. :)
Those old Motorola radios sounded great, even though they were AM.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Ken, ask any guitar player why they love the old TUBE amps and they will tell you they sound better but do not know why. My son-in-law plays in a band and I explained, If a signal is amplified as it passes thru a SOLID device (transistor) in todays amps, but that signal is amplified inside a VACUUM (as in TUBE) which will most likely add trash to the sound? Solid state amps "clip" or cut-off some of the signal to reduce the background noise...but not in a tube amp. No doubt more can be done with electrons with solid-state devices, but simple amplification in a vacuum tube is hard to beat.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
The Motorola radio I used to have, and have now, are alas solid-state. Several of my vintage hi-fi devices and TVs are sportin' the vacuum tubes, though. BTW, all amps clip and distort. Tubes mostly 2nd/even-order, solid state mostly 3rd/odd harmonic. Ear likes even better.

In a former life as a recording engineer, I recorded many location albums with completely tube signal path. Neumann U-67s, Ampex 4-input stereo tube mixer, Magnecord open-reel recorder at 15ips. Stuff weighed a ton, but sounded pretty good.

Now back to our regularly-scheduled Alpine mods...

chimpodunker

Donation Time
Has anyone hid an antenna? Saw one post about mounting one just under dash cover. Anything else? Thanks for the offer Steve but still looking at my options.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I built my dash with a radio and glove box. but if I do it again, I will build a dash without a radio and install a hidden system like Ken is talking about. My series 2 had 6.5" holes in the kickplates on each side that my speakers fit in with out cutting, maybe the only thing I have not cut on my car.
IMG_3227-L.jpg

DSCN3204-L.jpg

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Has anyone hid an antenna? Saw one post about mounting one just under dash cover. Anything else? Thanks for the offer Steve but still looking at my options.

Manual retractable in the windshield rubber next to the door 'wing'? If it's skinny, rubber could still compress to seal.
There are various "tune trapper" antennas out there (that I haven't used) that seem to have flexible mounting options.
Also a dipole type that's about a foot long that could go behind the rear view mirror on the inside of the windshield. Not invisible, but tucked away. Double stick tape the little center box to the glass, and run the cable in the windshield grommet.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is what I did:)

A remote antenna under the dash behind the kick panel. It runs up inside the DSC01291.JPG DSC01276.JPG post just behind the door hinges and then fills a hole where an antenna was installed by the PO.DSC01291.JPG

65beam

Donation Time
Why not do what would have been done in 1967? Just get a modern replacement "looks like an old pushbutton" radio.

6620-261d2ff4f83100a0c9ba3abc237738ab.jpg

Picture borrowed from the Gallery; think the car belongs to member 65beam?
Barry,
The radio is the AM only radio that says" sunbeam" on the face of the dial. And it does have push buttons.The mount is the one most dealers used when they installed a radio. This radio now has a small speaker in the radio housing with two other hidden speakers. It works but I know of only a few AM stations in this area. There is a pre punched hole at the top of each kick panel for the antenna wire to come thru to the interior of the car. I have the pattern that lays on the body for cutting the opening for mounting the antenna base. This allows the wire to drop into the interior. FYI, I have an old Kreaco cassette / AM FM installed in the series 2 radio mount in the red Harrington.100_0299.JPG

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I have the pattern that lays on the body for cutting the opening for mounting the antenna base. This allows the wire to drop into the interior.

Bob, In your picture, the antenna is seen clearly where the "hole" was punched in the Blue Boy V6. I utilized it for my remote antenna.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
The Motorola radio I used to have, and have now, are alas solid-state. Several of my vintage hi-fi devices and TVs are sportin' the vacuum tubes, though. BTW, all amps clip and distort. Tubes mostly 2nd/even-order, solid state mostly 3rd/odd harmonic. Ear likes even better.

In a former life as a recording engineer, I recorded many location albums with completely tube signal path. Neumann U-67s, Ampex 4-input stereo tube mixer, Magnecord open-reel recorder at 15ips. Stuff weighed a ton, but sounded pretty good.

Now back to our regularly-scheduled Alpine mods...
Ken, you can appreciate "clean" audio recordings and output of an amp, so you understand this discussion better than most. My old reel-to-reel 7" recorder (Philips) was great at reproduction and could play for hours unattended. My house was wired with speakers in the ceilings...and the garage. Vision is called 20-20 if normal and hearing is similar, 20 to 20K Hertz (cycles in my day), and I remember in the 70's and 80's many audiophiles saying their system could go up to 40,000 Hertz. WHY? My dog may appreciate it but human hearing can't hear that high. Low frequency can be "felt"...sometimes, so strong bass my be an advantage. I love my solid-state tuner/amp and my old Technics turntable...yes, I have many records and still play them. I even had a Quadraphonic amp with 4-channel tapes and a 4-channel record player (my Technics) and 4-channel records, but that experiment failed after just a couple of years. For the Alpine discussion, people just need to know to keep the speakers "phased" throughout the system. Look close at the speaker connections and there will be a +/- mark and at the radio output. Keep them "in phase". That is why speaker wires are also marked...usually with a line on one wire. As you said, Now back to our regularly-scheduled programing.