• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Radio Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord_rootes

Donation Time
Thanks Robin,
I was afraid they might be up in that range. I'll have to think about it but I'm not sure if I can afford to spend that much right now what with buying the car and repairs I have done to it etc.
I appreciate that they are a lot of work to make hence the price asked is probably not unreasonable but I'll see how the finances go. :)
Thanks again for looking into that.

Alan

Hi Allan,

I spoke with the guy who is making the replica radio and speaker consoles and as I suggested, they are not cheap. You would be looking at AU$550 + approximately AU$70 for shipping. What you are getting is a very high quality replica with all new materials ans car audio speaker. If only you could have heard how much effort is put into building one correctly, you would understand the asking price. If you do decide that you want one, let me know as he will probably not be making any more.

Regards, Robin.

lord_rootes

Donation Time
Actually, $369.38 + $47.01 (US Dollars) doesn't sound so bad, considering the effort and rarity!

I was forgetting that the Aus. dollar was so low right now, it used to be close to the Canadian dollar in value. That's about $530.00 Canadian with shipping.
Hmmm, sounding a bit more possible now.

Alan

lord_rootes

Donation Time
I wasn't really trying to sell it. The radio is a "Triumph" radio.
If you are still interested PM me.

Thanks Larry, I''l keep it in mind. I didn't realize it wasn't an Alpine console. If I do go for a console I'll probably try first to get an Alpine one.
I'm keeping an eye on the Ebay one for now.

Alan

lord_rootes

Donation Time
I wasn't really trying to sell it. The radio is a "Triumph" radio.
If you are still interested PM me.

Hi again,
I just re-read your post and realized that you said it's a Triumph radio, not console. Is it an actual Alpine console and speaker grill then? Sorry for the confusion as I'm not overly familiar with Alpines yet.
If so I might be PM'ing you after all.
Thanks,
Alan

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi again,
I just re-read your post and realized that you said it's a Triumph radio, not console. Is it an actual Alpine console and speaker grill then? Sorry for the confusion as I'm not overly familiar with Alpines yet.
If so I might be PM'ing you after all.
Thanks,
Alan

I was thinking the same thing. I seem to recall a similar radio console on MkI/II Spitfires. However, given how poorly the Standpart/Triumph radio fits in this one, I'd say that this is likely to be the real deal Alpine/Tiger unit. My only reservation is that it does not have the shiny, ridged faceplate, and I never saw a Sunbeam radio console without that bit.

ForzaDesign

Donation Time
Hi group,
I have been reading the thread on consoles. I reviewed the pics of the Martel repro. Looks nice. Appears he has pride in his quality. Some of you may remember me mentioning that engineering products for companies is what I do. I am certain this could be fabricated by my vendors if Martel is no longer in production. The problem is quantity. Once the we set up to fabricate, is doesn't cost that much more to fab multiples. Let me know if you would like me to look into this.

Thanks,
Jim

Rootes 66

Donation Time
Kevin
I was thinking the same thing. I seem to recall a similar radio console on MkI/II Spitfires. However, given how poorly the Standpart/Triumph radio fits in this one, I'd say that this is likely to be the real deal Alpine/Tiger unit. My only reservation is that it does not have the shiny, ridged faceplate, and I never saw a Sunbeam radio console without that bit.

Larrys IS the real deal, all it lacks is the mounting brackets and aluminium plate.
The Spitfire console was produced by Smiths who also produced the Alpine unit, the speaker box was different similar to the Series II, with Rectangular chrome surround, but the radio faceplate itself was the same pressing with an angled lip on the top edge. The Aluminium trim plate was identical.

I may be able to help out with the missing parts if anyones interested. Original trim plate, repro brackets, Realistically priced. PM me
Pete

Rootes 66

Donation Time
Jim,
I'm sure there will be a good response, I may want some for my Apines and also for my 69GT Fastback.:)

Bob the radio faceplate for the 69 was approx 9" plastic, Ive got a few knocking around somewhere. I'll see if I can lay my hands on one for a photo
Pete

lgurley

Donation Time
The console and radio were in my silver Alpine and I replaced it with a Sony giga panel with 1 gig nof flash memory built into the faceplate. I am almost posative that it is original equipment but can only say for sure that it was in the car when I bought it.
Since I only listen to 40 year old songs I had to replace the A.M. radio.
There may be more pieces in the warehouse. I sent someone to look. I ain't going outside cause it is snowing here in Northern Mississippi.

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

I'm pretty sure I saw the needed faceplate for the radio on eBay last night.
Lee

alpine_64

Donation Time
The alpine radio console as on S3 on and the tigers was Stanpart unit. Im not sure about it being used in spitfires, but i know it was an option for the triumph vitesse. The brackets that mount to the front of the dash are additional, and the in some of the other applications (and also offered as an aftermarket console for other cars) it was available with/without faceplate.. and in wood look aswell as the ribbed metal.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Is this the one you were talking about?

Sunbeam Alpine Radio Dash Plate: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sunb...004QQitemZ140296089803QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

7218_1.JPG

7849_1.JPG

Rootes 66

Donation Time
The alpine radio console as on S3 on and the tigers was Stanpart unit. Im not sure about it being used in spitfires, but i know it was an option for the triumph vitesse. The brackets that mount to the front of the dash are additional, and the in some of the other applications (and also offered as an aftermarket console for other cars) it was available with/without faceplate.. and in wood look aswell as the ribbed metal.

Michael
Stanpart was the parts dept of Standard Triumph, who you are aware made the spitfire and vitesse. I stand by what I said earlier that they were made by Smiths Industries for both Rootes and also the Standard.
The Stanpart mount is incorporated in the faceplate pressing.

The one more commonly used as an aftermarket console is a couple of inches narrower, same basic design.
Pete

65beam

Donation Time
the plastic radio mount that is shown for the 69 GT is not like the ones that were in three of my cars . they were similar to what puff 4 showed ,but were plastic . i also have an nos radio mount kit with the proper part number for the 69 gt that includes the mounting bracket , speaker,noise filter, wiring etc . it has the metal surround like the one puff 4 posted . i did not use it when i restored the white car . the original radio that the dealer installed is still in the car but i don't use it since the hidden am/fm is under the passenger seat and has the control panel mounted where the ashtray used to be .the dealer installed radio for the white car is a rootes am with a bracket on top of the radio and a strap at the back .the plastic surround is held on by two small nuts that screw onto the stems for the controls .it also covers the bottom of the radio . i know of one series two sold new in the U.K. that has the wide mounting like the series 4 & 5 and was installed by the dealer the day the car was sold to the gentleman that bought it new while stationed in the U.K. my series 4 came out of the dealer with a blaupunkt radio . if someone wants to make up units like martel did, i would buy one .

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael
Stanpart was the parts dept of Standard Triumph, who you are aware made the spitfire and vitesse. I stand by what I said earlier that they were made by Smiths Industries for both Rootes and also the Standard.
The Stanpart mount is incorporated in the faceplate pressing.

The one more commonly used as an aftermarket console is a couple of inches narrower, same basic design.
Pete

Pete, I have some pics of them in Smiths boxes (new) so yes i have seen them made by smiths.. but have also seen stanpart boxes.. you are probably right and was just a rebrand (like the rootes branded LUMAX lamps). As for the aftermarket ones being different in dimensinos.. i have one i got as an aftermarket unit (without the metal ribbed faceplate) and its the exact dimensinos of the original Sunbeam one i have but did not have the front dash brackets.

I think Paul Scofield was selling a full kit for one a while back still in the box that had a simulated wooden faceplate and the picture on the box showed it in an alpine!

Rootes 66

Donation Time
the plastic radio mount that is shown for the 69 GT is not like the ones that were in three of my cars . .
Bob
Perhaps our mountings were different in the later cars, UK as opposed to over in the US, from my 1969 Rootes group Quality accessories catalogue the mount pictured was the only one offered for under dash mounting, The Radiomobile Model R20 and R07 were the two preferred Radios recommended.
Pete

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Quote:"Bob the radio faceplate for the 69 was approx 9" plastic, Ive got a few knocking around somewhere. I'll see if I can lay my hands on one for a photo
Pete"
I sure would like to see and possibly buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.