• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Radio Console Colour

Barrythebrit

Donation Time
I have an LAT72 type radio console. Everything on it looks original, all holes in the right place, period EMI speaker, had 502T Radio in it (which I no longer have), mesh looks like the correct grade, number of slots on the aluminium face looks correct.... the only thing is that the Millboard is a Grey Color and the Metal frame is also a grey color. Does anyone know the original color of the millboard and metal frame? And does any one else know of any other way I can check if it is an original piece?
....Sorry... I just realized I should have put this in the factory original section...

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
A member with handle Volvo Guys(Mark) is highly recommended and having outstanding advice and knowledge of the Radios....

I'm sure you will hear from him soon.

Or you can go to the "Members List" and send a "PM".

DanR

alpine_64

Donation Time
In a sunbeam install the parts would have been black, it suggests the frame has been repainted ... The millboard... Is it perhaps very faded? How light is the grey..... A dark grey that may have. Been black once?

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Grey? Might the radio mounting fascia just behind the ribbed aluminum faceplate have a 3/4" forward-leaning lip all away across?

Mark ..... volvoguys

Barrythebrit

Donation Time
It's a light grey with matching millboard. It does not look like it is faded black. The area where the aluminium plates sits does have the lip around it. To me it looks like a grey Lat72, but surely this is not possible.

Barrythebrit

Donation Time
I have attached a few pictures.

Attachments

• Radio Console a.jpg
    Radio Console a.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Radio Console B.jpg
    Radio Console B.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Radio Console C.jpg
    Radio Console C.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 45

alpine_64

Donation Time
Its not a sunbeam console, the lip across the top at the front is the mount for another car. It might be triumph vitesse or herald. The parts were made by stanpart.

To fit a sunbeam you need some additional brackets St the front that go up into the dash rail and a bracket across the middle that bolts to the 2 dash support arms

65beam

Donation Time
color

the brackets would have been used if installed at the factory. if installed by a dealer who knows. dealers in this part of the world didn't always follow the instructions nor did they use everything specified by the parts manuals. was this installed by a dealer? who knows! I do know that the blaupunkt that byers installed in my green car was in the black metal mount with universal straps screwed to the side of the radio and bolted to the bulkhead braces with the metal mount bolted thru the lower dash waist roll. quick and easy. this could be a dealer installed item.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Sure.... They could have installed one from a gullwing merc.. Or off a space shuttle... But long and short of it.. That's not a sunbeam one.. And without a brace further back the weight of the radio would mean it wouldn't have worked in the sunbeam as it would just hang down in the back. The lip along the top front edge is for a different install. Its a UK part so less likely as a USA random dealer install as they tended to use amco and other USA sourced stuff that you always champion as correct bobby

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
radio

it looks like a sunbeam unit and with a little common sense it could be painted, mounted in any car including alpines and tigers and made to look like a factory installed unit. a long time sunbeam restoration guru has a saying. "SLIGHT MODIFICATION REQUIRED". that means you don't really need the factory brackets to mount it. there are other ways.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
A look at the pics shows the forward leaning 3/4" lip I asked about earlier so Michael is correct in that this piece is Triumph. Its a respectable alternative to the Rootes deluxe console and LAT-72 but isn't for Sunbeam. As Bob mentioned a number of modifications would need to be made, including the reorientation of the speaker cabinet so it sets a few inches further back (as well as other mods). Wrong speaker, wrong cabinet hardboard, wrong surround, wrong speaker support. The only parts actually 'correct' for Sunbeam is the ribbed aluminum faceplate, u-shaped outer speaker support garnish and the grill.

This looks like the console sold a few weeks ago on UK eBay. I was watching it but it went for far more than I felt it was worth (for our cars).

Having said all that, if complete originality isn't important to you then this was a nice find.

Mark ..... volvoguys

65beam

Donation Time
color

your last statement is right. after a few mods which wouldn't take long this would be a correct unit. you could give me a series 3 GT body and with mods, the wife's checkbook and the right body man I could show you a series 4 or a MK 1 tiger. you have to start somewhere and this mount is close. why would a person not use it?

Barrythebrit

Donation Time
Thanks everyone, so it,s a triumph unit, I have never seen a full console with speaker unit in, on a Triumph before.
I will strip it down repaint it black and Mod it as per suggestions. This will get pride of place in my series V, I think they are great looking unit's.