• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Racing a Sunbeam Alpine in South Africa!

Series1Racer

Donation Time
Good day, not sure if this is the right place to introduce myself, but thought it would be relevant.

My name is Mark, and I reside in South Africa, I race a SI Sunbeam Alpine with 1592cc motor The sub assembly is from a Hillman super minx.

I started racing the car in January and its been going well up until the motor developed a bearing knock on the dyno a couple weeks ago. So its back to the drawing board now.

Please feel free to check out my website www.vanrooyenracing.co.za there are a few pictures and details on there

My email address is markvanrooyen01@gmail.com should anyone wish to contact me also.

Attachments

• Alpine 04-03-17.jpg
    Alpine 04-03-17.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Welcome Mark .. Checked your site out ... Looks like alot'a fun! ....... ("Because of the loss of power from the coast to the reef, and the tight corners (especially turn 2 ) it was decided to bridge the overdrive cancel switch out. 2nd gear was just to slow coming out of turn 2 and the rev counter needle would be on the wrong side of 6000rpm before I could even exit the corner properly. So we bridged the switch out and it worked brilliantly. I would descend from turn 1 into turn 2 in 3rd gear with O/D engaged, leave OD on and gear down to 2nd, take the corner and exit at about 5500rpm and pull it to 6200+- and then switch OD off and engage 3rd gear. This not only gave me a longer 2nd gear, but also closed that huge gap between 2nd and 3rd. The car feels so alive") ........ Very interesting solution;) ....

.... David

dwolff706

Donation Time
Mark,
enjoyed your post and site, great story and congratulations on your finishes!

Have fun on this club site, there are amazing people here and good resources. looking forward to updates on your racing. Good luck,
Dave

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I believe some Rootes rally racers used full-time wired-on OD for similar reasons. They didn't usually have to worry about reverse, or about factory spares availability, though...

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
You are doing a splendid job! Keep up the great showing for the Sunbeams'