• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Quickjack

Acollin

Donation Time
I typed quickjack into the search and found some concerns about the product and I would like to send some positive feedback on the product to the forum.
I am getting older and finding some work on my series v a bit challenging. That said, I still love to do my own wrenching on most things— actually all things at this point.
I read the threads on taking down the gearbox ( I have a leaker - blown front seal), and felt like getting the car at a usable height was more challenging than the process of taking the box down. I love the ingenuity of those who built this and that but it was simply more than I wanted to do. Believe me when I say I am truly in awe of the creativity.
The long and the short of it is, I bought a quickjack and it arrived a few days ago and I think it is going to be my new best friend in the shop.
It was packed beautifully — so well protected — and the assembly was easy. The manual was incredible and I followed it step by step to the letter and had no problems— no leaks — all good. I did email the company with a question and got my answer in less than 24 hours. I would state categorically that it is more stable than jack stands ( not even a tire wobble) and mine raises to a full two feet in height. I can’t imagine a better tool for doing brake work. The criticisms I read about were normal fears about crawling under a lifted car— which are all reasonable and there is nothing better than the wooden platform idea for keeping a car from crashing to the ground. When I pull my gear box this winter, I will have some back up for the quickjack but I truly believe it will not be necessary— just a normal caution when crawling under a lifted car. This appears to be built very well.
At this point, I think this is a fantastic product. My only criticism is that when dropping the gearbox, I will not be able to approach any of the work from the sides. It will all be from either the front or the rear. That said there is a pretty wide path to the gearbox.
I will post again on this product when I actually drop the gearbox but if you are getting tired of that floor jack and jack stands, you might consider this. I bought mine on sale through Costco. $1299- Delivered to my home. I know its not cheap, but I believe in my life this tool will pay for itself.
Be well all
Andrew
Sandy, Oregon
Disclaimer: I do not have any financial connections to the product, their business or to anyone or anything connected to the quickjack people

Attachments

• 8F7F2563-0B6A-43CE-8213-DE8FBD63584F.jpeg
    8F7F2563-0B6A-43CE-8213-DE8FBD63584F.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 121

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Good to hear about this product. It's been on my short list of things I need (desperately!) and have
been looking at all sorts of different lifts. I have a 9 ft ceiling and really can't use a standard type of
lift. Not only that, but with the permanent type of lift, you have to dedicate a space where it will
always be. (sometimes in the way) These can be moved around and used just about anywhere in the shop.
Thanks for sharing your experience!
Cheers!
Steve

Acollin

Donation Time
I bought the 5000 TL. If the only car / vehicle you wanted to lift was a Sunbeam, you could get by with a 3500 and I considered the 3500 because the 3500 is more compact and more easily lines up with secure jacking places. i figured if it did not work out, I could return it for a full refund at Costco. Someone on the MGB forum pictured his car raised so I knew my BGT would be fine there. Our more modern car will also get lifted by the quickjack— heavier and longer wheel bases. The quickjack is portable and can also be stored flush to a wall on a “hanger” when not in use.

Thanks for the concern Mike— I agree, but I would recommend a backup plan B if I were using jack stands and a floor jack too! The car was rock solid when lifted. The only issue would be if both locked in position independent safety bars failed simultaneity. I suppose that is possible— but very slim chance and would be wildly unlikely.
Be well all
Andrew

Durhamguy

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the information guys as it is something I am considering as I need the Alpine raised to do some work.

NedD

Gold Level Sponsor
I bought the 5000 TL. If the only car / vehicle you wanted to lift was a Sunbeam, you could get by with a 3500 and I considered the 3500 because the 3500 is more compact and more easily lines up with secure jacking places. i figured if it did not work out, I could return it for a full refund at Costco. Someone on the MGB forum pictured his car raised so I knew my BGT would be fine there. Our more modern car will also get lifted by the quickjack— heavier and longer wheel bases. The quickjack is portable and can also be stored flush to a wall on a “hanger” when not in use.

Thanks for the concern Mike— I agree, but I would recommend a backup plan B if I were using jack stands and a floor jack too! The car was rock solid when lifted. The only issue would be if both locked in position independent safety bars failed simultaneity. I suppose that is possible— but very slim chance and would be wildly unlikely.
Be well all
Andrew
Andrew, did the 5000TL fit between the front and rear wheels on your car?
Or do you have to position the lifts inboard of the tires to get clearance?

Acollin

Donation Time
Definitely inboard of the tires if I understand your question ( not sure I do). I could set something up so you could see exactly where I set the rubber blocks.
In the picture, you can see - not very clearly- where I set the rubber blocks.
Picture is from when I pulled the gearbox.
Let me know if you need more.

Attachments

• IMG_3500.jpeg
    IMG_3500.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
If the hydraulic rams that lift it are all that holds it up, you wouldn't find me under it without additional jack stands. But that's just me.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
One of the Tiger guys has one like this.

He likes it.

We tried to use it to pull the engine out the bottom.

the biggest problem is as you take stuff off the front

of the car, the balance changes too much.

And, yes it is a bit light duty.

I have a 2 post lift I have been storing for years

and just now I'm in the throws of installing it!

DW

Durhamguy

Platinum Level Sponsor
Definitely inboard of the tires if I understand your question ( not sure I do). I could set something up so you could see exactly where I set the rubber blocks.
Let me know if you need more.
Hi, would appreciate seeing the block set up if possible. I am looking at a 3500 but the 5000 is on sale at the moment locally. I need enough room underneath to be able to run a new fuel line and then change my exhaust system. Do you find you have enough room? Thanks for posting this. Regards.

NedD

Gold Level Sponsor
Let me know if you n
Thanks Andrew, while I'm also curious where you positioned the lifting blocks, you've answered my main question. QJ and Costco have these on sale this week so I've been trying to decide whether to get one.

o2bdriving

Silver Level Sponsor
I typed quickjack into the search and found some concerns about the product and I would like to send some positive feedback on the product to the forum.
I am getting older and finding some work on my series v a bit challenging. That said, I still love to do my own wrenching on most things— actually all things at this point.
I read the threads on taking down the gearbox ( I have a leaker - blown front seal), and felt like getting the car at a usable height was more challenging than the process of taking the box down. I love the ingenuity of those who built this and that but it was simply more than I wanted to do. Believe me when I say I am truly in awe of the creativity.
The long and the short of it is, I bought a quickjack and it arrived a few days ago and I think it is going to be my new best friend in the shop.
It was packed beautifully — so well protected — and the assembly was easy. The manual was incredible and I followed it step by step to the letter and had no problems— no leaks — all good. I did email the company with a question and got my answer in less than 24 hours. I would state categorically that it is more stable than jack stands ( not even a tire wobble) and mine raises to a full two feet in height. I can’t imagine a better tool for doing brake work. The criticisms I read about were normal fears about crawling under a lifted car— which are all reasonable and there is nothing better than the wooden platform idea for keeping a car from crashing to the ground. When I pull my gear box this winter, I will have some back up for the quickjack but I truly believe it will not be necessary— just a normal caution when crawling under a lifted car. This appears to be built very well.
At this point, I think this is a fantastic product. My only criticism is that when dropping the gearbox, I will not be able to approach any of the work from the sides. It will all be from either the front or the rear. That said there is a pretty wide path to the gearbox.
I will post again on this product when I actually drop the gearbox but if you are getting tired of that floor jack and jack stands, you might consider this. I bought mine on sale through Costco. $1299- Delivered to my home. I know its not cheap, but I believe in my life this tool will pay for itself.
Be well all
Andrew
Sandy, Oregon
Disclaimer: I do not have any financial connections to the product, their business or to anyone or anything connected to the quickjack people

Thanks Andrew, while I'm also curious where you positioned the lifting blocks, you've answered my main question. QJ and Costco have these on sale this week so I've been trying to decide whether to get one.
I use the pinch weld blocks with my qj3500. My sills are solid and it works well. I could move them in and lift on the x frame if needed.

Acollin

Donation Time
To answer Hillman‘s concerns, there are two locking levels that can manage significant weight. Sunbeams are well within any weight consideration. Locked in either locking position, one must actually raise the lift - trip a holding/ securing device , before the lift will go down. I was surprised at how stable the system is.

Durhamguy: I expect there is plenty of room to do fuel lines and exhaust— as stated early, I used it to swap ou t a gearbox— much more weight and volume.

I will say , it can be challenging to move the system around and position it. It is not a drive on and lift system. I would liked to have tried the 3500(may be a better fit if all you plan to lift is a sunbeam) but it was the 5000 on sale in my area too. I just figured if it was too large I would return for a full refund.
These pictures should answer most questions about pad placement. I don’t think I would risk my body and paint with the weight of the car on the pinch seam.

Any other questions, I’ll do what I can
Andrew

Attachments

• IMG_2479.jpeg
    IMG_2479.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2475.jpeg
    IMG_2475.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2476.jpeg
    IMG_2476.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2477.jpeg
    IMG_2477.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2478.jpeg
    IMG_2478.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43

Durhamguy

Platinum Level Sponsor
Andrew, thank you, the pics are very helpfull. I bought a 7000 earlier this year at a good price but each frame was 98lbs. I returned as it was too heavy. I am going to go for the 3500 in the sprjng as the frames are 60lbs and should fit between the wheels. Just have to cough up the extra dollars. Thanks again. David

Hillman

Gold Level Sponsor
To answer Hillman‘s concerns, there are two locking levels that can manage significant weight. Sunbeams are well within any weight consideration. Locked in either locking position, one must actually raise the lift - trip a holding/ securing device , before the lift will go down. I was surprised at how stable the system is.

Andrew
Sounds like a typical 2-post lift. I like that. Thanks.

It assures me that some Sunbeam owners will survive until they can't crawl under their cars.

o2bdriving

Silver Level Sponsor
Sounds like a typical 2-post lift. I like that. Thanks.

It assures me that some Sunbeam owners will survive until they can't crawl under their cars.
All QJs have the ability to rest the car on two of its stops. I always run mine to the highest position to roll around under the car on a creeper. When ordering, pay close attention to the opening between the tires. I bought a 5000 version which wouldn't fit between the tires to use the pinch welds to lift. With the pinch weld blocks, the body rests on the x frame and the sills. Not all vehicles are solid enough to use the pinch weld so the frame is a better option. Also, the 5000 was too heavy to manage so I replaced it with the 3500—still a bit to manage but doable. I can even sit in the lifted car.

Attachments

• qj3500.jpg
    qj3500.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • qj3500side.jpg
    qj3500side.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:

o2bdriving

Silver Level Sponsor
If the hydraulic rams that lift it are all that holds it up, you wouldn't find me under it without additional jack stands. But that's just me.
It has two locked positions where the car's weight rests entirely on the steel frame—no load on the hydraulic rams.