• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Questions about adding overdrive

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Scott, Are you using a OD with the 3.70 gear?

Yes - I replaced the stock 3.89 with a new 3.70 set from Rootes Post Vintage Spares. Coupled with my OD it makes for a sweet cruise at high speeds on the highway. I'm using 165/80 R13 radials.

RootesRich

Donation Time
Yes - I replaced the stock 3.89 with a new 3.70 set from Rootes Post Vintage Spares. Coupled with my OD it makes for a sweet cruise at high speeds on the highway. I'm using 165/80 R13 radials.

Scott, did you have your speedo recalibrated for the rear end change? I'm swapping my 4:22 with OD to a 3.89 and to have MoMa rebuild and recalibrate my speedo cost $230. Granted their work is superb, customer service is great and turn around time is fast, but their price has going up significantly the past few years!

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Scott, did you have your speedo recalibrated for the rear end change? I'm swapping my 4:22 with OD to a 3.89 and to have MoMa rebuild and recalibrate my speedo cost $230. Granted their work is superb, customer service is great and turn around time is fast, but their price has going up significantly the past few years!

Yes - Speedograph Richfield in the UK did mine. They sent me a worksheet to fill out giving them all the specs of my car and from that they calibrated my speedo. Cost was 53 pounds back in 2003.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Just looking at the gearing and with the 3.70 with the OD your finial drive ratio should be 2.97 at the rear, at 80 mph you should be turning 3756rpm thats with 13" tires, just a thought. My final drive with the 3.70 gear and the Toyota 5 speed is 3.18, so at 80 mph my tach reads 4020 rpm.:D

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just looking at the gearing and with the 3.70 with the OD your finial drive ratio should be 2.97 at the rear, at 80 mph you should be turning 3756rpm thats with 13" tires, just a thought. My final drive with the 3.70 gear and the Toyota 5 speed is 3.18, so at 80 mph my tach reads 4020 rpm.:D

Let's go back to my original email. I said "going close to 80". I'll have the car out this weekend and do EXACTLY 80 and report back on what the tach says.

The main point of my submission was that the 3.70 rear end with OD is a fantastic combination for high speed cruising.

lgurley

Donation Time

While you are waiting on Dellow and I know they are in no hurry, You can install a 3.70 gear with your stock trans. this will give you a good highway speed. I installed the 3.70 gear and it worked well then I added the 5 speed it made it better.
I am installing the 3.70 and an O.D. transmission next week. I think I will have to send the drive shaft out to be shortened. (right?)
I still want the 5 speed. I have more Alpines to get back on the road.

65beam

Donation Time
overdrive

george,
keep in mind that not all overdrives are the same as what was stock for an alpine.when i had mine rebuilt,the person doing it made some changes to the od in order to lower my rpm's even more.