• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Question about steering wheels

Crash Bang Alpine

Donation Time
Does Grant or any other company make a replacement wheel for the Alpine series II for around $100.00?

I intend to try to repair the cracks in the old series II wheel. Has anyone else tried fiberglass to fix the separations in the wheel this way?

Also, I would like to know exactly what the steps are for removal of the steering wheel.

Thanks!

britbeam

Donation Time
Does Grant or any other company make a replacement wheel for the Alpine series II for around $100.00?

I intend to try to repair the cracks in the old series II wheel. Has anyone else tried fiberglass to fix the separations in the wheel this way?

Also, I would like to know exactly what the steps are for removal of the steering wheel.

Thanks!

I used at kit from Eastwood to repair a series 2 wheel. You might check the web site to see if they still offer the kit. I have moto lita style wheel on my Alpine now but you wont find it for the price your wanting to pay.
Dwain V6 Krazy

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've repaired cracks in the wheel and the hub using JB Weld. It dries pretty quickly and sands pretty easily. After that I just spray it with the best semigloss black paint and it looks great!
Cheers!
Steve

Jaars

Gold Level Sponsor
What Eastwood sells is a two part epoxy called PX-7, available at most hardware stores for aroud $7! Robert

donchiotos

Donation Time
There is a company that sells a steering wheel repair kit. I haven't used it but used their other products, and they are high quality. That company is Restomotive Laboratories. If you call then they will send you a cataloge. They make POR 15 paint, which is a excelent product. Their telephone numbet is 1-800-457-6715 or www.por15.com

lgurley

Donation Time

Thanks!

My body shop used body filler and sanded it smooth before painting. It looks like new.

Larry

TulsaAlpine

Donation Time
Yes and NO

:)
Yes, I have a grant wooden walnut steering wheel, but during the restoration they used a column from a 80's Buick that tilts. They were able to find a adapter to mount the grant wheel. No, unless you willing to redo the whole steering column most grant wheels will not work. Retro steering wheels for the Alpine are pricey but you have really two choices, (1) fix the old one or (2) buy a new pricey one.

Donna
:D