• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Quarter Mile in an Alpine

tigretr

Donation Time
Well, I have now officially checked off my bucket list going down the 1320' (1/4 mile) in my Alpine. Wow was that fun. In fact there was enough room for improvement that I think I will do it again. I put down 15.448@ 87.67mph. Besides my slow reaction time of .652 seconds, if I could launch a little better I think I could get into the high 14's. Check out the video link below (you might need to copy and past the link in your browser).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zm6STTtM_4MJIoFEvDSzZsELREF1EF-s/view

Brian

Charles Johns

Donation Time
As an old drag racer, the shot from inside brought back memories of a Vette powered 1940 Ford coupe with 4-speed. The heart pumps a little faster and the only thing I see is the tree. While waiting for others to run, watching the tree to see the lights speed is number one on my list. Cutting a good light is key in a close race, once the car is tuned to the max. Thanks for the ride.

tigretr

Donation Time
You just summed up the zone I was in. I was so focused on the tree I had to consciously remind myself to shift and breath. My legs were trembling so much that easing the clutch out to stop the burnout was not an option. Next time I expect the jitters to be a little less since I will know what to expect. I learned A LOT in my 3 runs.

Glad to provide your blast from the past.

Brian

alpine_64

Donation Time
Brian,

Once you get your launch sorted revs vs wheel spin vs rev drop off and a quick reaction time you'll be easy 14s.

Also... The soft top was sure lifting up... Given the ultimate terminal speeds having top down may be fine.

tigretr

Donation Time
Yes, I am thinking I could drop a half a second and get into the high 14.9's. That's my goal anyways. We will see what the next time brings.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Did you notice how the tree was just visible, next to your mirror, in the video? Perfect placement of your car and camera. Was that carefully planned? Without that little detail a good bit of what you shared would be misssed. Nice job. Good luck next run.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Great video! I wish I would have recorded my 6 laps at Road America recently ('66 Tiger/289) P

tigretr

Donation Time
Did you notice how the tree was just visible, next to your mirror, in the video? Perfect placement of your car and camera. Was that carefully planned? Without that little detail a good bit of what you shared would be misssed. Nice job. Good luck next run.
Camera placement was somewhat planned. I was trying to get a good shot of my speedo and tach, but got lucky and got the tree as well. I hadn't accounted for having my helmet on so it blocked a bit of the speedo. I was told by the tech inspector that putting the helmet on and top up would get me around some of the roll bar requirements that apply if you don't have a top. I didn't quite get it, but wasn't going to ask.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Brian-tigretr, we had an old guy who ran a much modified Ford model "T" at a local track in the 60's. It was supposed to max out at about 60/70 mph so no roll bar or safety equipment needed. That stripped T shocked everyone who thought it might hit 50 in the quarter. The old dude had on 1920's aviation goggles, an old leather motorcycle cap that also covered his ears, a long scarf wrapped around his neck and he wore a leather jacket...brown to match his cap. No fenders and basically no body, being powered by a hopped-up 4-banger fed by a home-built carb, nearly as big as the engine. He scared the hell out of everyone when he tripped the lights at the end of the 1320 at just under 90 mph! At that speed those mechanical brakes just slowed him down before he hit the gravel-trap off the end of the strip. Nobody hurt, but the officials said he could not run again...EVER! All the old guy wanted to know was if he had set some kind of record, but the officials for the track had no idea what class he was in. I think they were just glad it was over and no death was involved. Can you imagine driving an open car without a body, having mechanical brakes and ZERO safety equipment at 90 mph? Those at the end of the track said he was leaning into the wind, scarf and beard blowing over his shoulder like an old bi-plane crop duster pilot flying low. It was believed he served in WWI and thought if the Germans didn't kill him he must be charmed. In any case, he was not allowed to run again...EVER!