• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Quad 4 Tunnel

skywords

Donation Time
Tunnel side panel now ready for install with 1/8" Monel solid universal head rivets. All cut outs rounded and deberred. Doing some measuring and it looks as if the oringinal mount brackets will work on the cross member. Quad 4 is about the same width as the oringinal 1592.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Skywords,

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a quad 4? Is it a motor, gearbox or both :eek: ?

Thanks, Robin.

skywords

Donation Time
Sorry all
I just assumed that everyone knew "my ignorance" It is a small four cylinder
DOHC firecracker that puts out 180hp and is only slightly larger than our Rootes engine. It is actualy shorter by two inches same width but two inches taller. It is normally a front wheel drive engine but with a Manta custom bellhousing mated to a Borg Warner T-5 with custom induction (fuel injection) and high flow custom exhaust manifold it looks as if it will fit nicely. (I hope!!)

fj55mike

Donation Time
Very cool, I've had some friends of mine try to convince me that's the engine to use in my 'beam. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the bell housing set you back?

--Mike

skywords

Donation Time
Mike
I bought the whole shimollie from Jan, it included everything. I think the bellhousing from Manta is just shy of 500.00. It's a neat set up you can mount the engine at any clock to the transmission. I thought about slanting the engine but it just gets taller when it is slanted due to the geometry of the timing chain cover. The only advantage to a slant might be steering gear clearance but I think it will fit. I am working as fast as my job will let me to get to the point of narvana (will it work). I think the stock engine mount brackets on the crossmember will work nicely. I cut the aft end of the tunnel today and will make the new parts to fit this weekend.

Jose
if you are reading this, does your T5 mount pick up split line bolts or does it pick up the GM mounting bosses. They seem pretty far aft. I would be interested in purchasing one from you. I know your parts fabricator has retired and this might be a bad time for such a request. My T5 is a Camero tranny and I have heard it is slanted more than others? My intent is to mount it vertical.

Rick

64beam

Donation Time
Why did'nt you say twin cam ;) . Thanks for explaining that, looks great :cool: .Did it only come in the 2.3 litre?

Regards, Robin.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Rick,

Our transmission support crossmember is flat at the mounting point. I believe the transmission mount is the part that has the angle. Barry Knight has one of our crossmembers and is using the Camaro T5, I think. You might want to ask him what he did to mount his transmission to it.

Jose:)

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Rick,

The mounting "foot" on all GM & Ford T-5 transmissions is in about the same location (vertically & front-to-back). From what I can tell, Jose's transmission crossmember will put any commonly available T-5 transmission in pretty much the correct location, however, the tilt of the Camaro style T-5 creates some issues.

Use the forum PM or e-mail utility to let me know your e-mail address and I will be glad to share what I have figured out.

skywords

Donation Time
Why did'nt you say twin cam ;) . Thanks for explaining that, looks great :cool: .Did it only come in the 2.3 litre?

Regards, Robin.

Robin
All I can tell you is the Quad 4 went thru a long evolution of changes that improved it's output and reliability. It suffered from a barage of head cracks and other ailments such as low rpm vibrations that have given it a bad name. The 1990 version that I have is what is known as the VIN A version. I believe it is the highest output version and has cranckshaft counterweights to solve the vibration problems also improved head to prevent cracking. This website is the best for understanding the different variants.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/ar49935.htm

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
A few more points on the Quad4.
Its a 2.3L DOHC, chain drive cams, iron block, lost spark ignition (2 coils, each coil fires 2 plugs at every TDC). It has no mass flow sensor, no EGR valve required. The standard version (VIN D) is 170hp, High Ouput version (VIN A) 180 hp, and the W44 engine in the 92-93 Olds Achiva SCX is 190hp.
The Quad4 suffered from a marginal head gasket design that needed replacement after about 70k miles. People still ran the engine and overheated it and head cracks developed between the exhaust seats.
Vibration - Any I4 engine over 2.0L will have annoying vibrations. The Quad4 driving an automatic tranny, will produce annoying steering wheel vibrations and sound levels at idle only in the driver's seat, and chain rattle noises heard from outside the car. The engine has no balance shafts.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I thought about slanting the engine but it just gets taller when it is slanted due to the geometry of the timing chain cover.

Rick,
The flat spot on the timing cover is the level indicator for the Quad (canted starboard). That's the normal operating position and I thought that position would give the best clearance?
Jan

skywords

Donation Time
Jan
I am still playing with all the options. The nose of the engine has to be very close to the crossmember and tilting becomes a problem in that area. I am not rushing into it or discounting any options. Another problem with the slant is the brace rod R/H side.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rick, welcome to the world of Alpine engine swapping. The general rule of thumb seems to be for any change that will give you a gain one in a given area will produce a loss in two other areas.

Also , you will find that a quarter inch is magic. Can't begin to count the number of times I've fought for that 1/4".

Bill

skywords

Donation Time
Rick, welcome to the world of Alpine engine swapping. The general rule of thumb seems to be for any change that will give you a gain one in a given area will produce a loss in two other areas.

Also , you will find that a quarter inch is magic. Can't begin to count the number of times I've fought for that 1/4".

Bill

Boy you got that right. I determend that a slant will only yield 3/4" reduction of height still not enough and looks to give problems in the tunnel area/ Bellhousing. Mounting vertical seems to be best? but will cause a new induction manifold to be fabricated or at best modify the existing for it will hit steering box. I admit to the dislike of a slanted engine for appearance. I will have to in any case modify the crankshaft pulley, cut it down in diameter and change to a v belt. The alternator will be mounted who knows where.

I would like to use the stock engine mount rubbers. Think they are beefy enough? Only at the tape measure stage.

Rick

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Rick, have you checked height clearance by dropping the hood onto the car with the engine in place? If not, I think you will be surprised at the clearance you have. The Alpine hood has a deceptively large bulge to it. Mine clears the front of the of the Pinto SOHC cam pulley by a good inch.

Bill

skywords

Donation Time
Bill
Not yet, but soon. I hope this weekend. I want to make a set of engine mount brackets even if they are to be replaced at least it is a start. I am hoping to get lucky in the hood department but if I end making a scoop that's ok it's all fun. Will keep you posted.

Rick