• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Push Rod Slip

alpiner

Diamond Level Sponsor
Has anyone experienced the slip of a push rod from under the rocker arm heel? Just happened to my series V fortunately while I was doing a carb adjustment at idle and I heard the clanking.

chazza

Donation Time
Yes I have. Limped home on 3 cylinders and discovered the problem. I also discovered that the valve-clearances were way too big; since I re-adjusted them and straightened the pushrod, all has been well,

Cheers Charlie

alpiner

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks. I pulled the head and found a 1/2" X 1/8" rod shaped piece of steel in the #1 cylinder bore that hammered the head and cracked the piston. It appears to have come from the crank case ventilation valve and got sucked into the intake port. Unbelievable! Anyone ever heard of that?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
What PCV valve were you using? The stock one only has two parts inside - a spring and cone shaped piece of metal, which should not fit through the valve opening.
upload_2018-9-18_11-51-13.png

Mike

alpiner

Diamond Level Sponsor
I ordered the PCV on-line. It was advertised as compatible. Doesn't look like the one in your photo. Where can I get the one in your photo? Don't want to make the same mistake again.

alpiner

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks George. Mike sent a note with the part# you mentioned, so I have them. A great bunch of guys working together to keep our Alpines on the road. Thanks to you all.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Here are the numbers ,(Standard Motor Products) #V-115 and V-100 You should be able to get them at Advance or any one who carries SMP parts