• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Procomp cooling fans

Jim in PA

Donation Time
Radiator cooling fan

A lot of folks have used Honda Civic cooling fans. Some use a manual control/ power switch, others use a combination of manual (override) control switch and thermostatic controller for the fan. The link you show has the whole package with mounting and thermostatic controller kits...
The prices seen in your posted link seem a very good deal.
I had my radiator re-cored from 2 rows of tubes to three rows of tubes and have had very little issue with lack of engine cooling. Long periods of sitting in stopped traffic waiting for a #$@!&( train to pass and had steady temp even with the stock fan blade. It cost more to have the rad re-cored but the car was new to me and a 42 year old rad was a complete unknown so...
nearly three years with the re-cored rad and still running proper temps.
The heater matrix/ heater core is another story...had it repaired last week...$20.00 and now it's back in business.

JonPiz

Donation Time
re Fan

I have this fitted to my series 2. The thermostat is very responsive and adjustable. I have mounted this as a push fan and it cools the engine very well

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Jon, your fan is rated at 2150 CFM (cubic feet per minute here in the colonies) at 2100 rpm. Subjectively, how loud is it in use? Can you hear it over the engine when you're stopped in traffic? Is it "leafblower loud" or more like an extremely perturbed hummingbird? I'm looking for an 'annoying/not-so-annoying' rating here.

Thanks!

JonPiz

Donation Time
re Fan

Jon, your fan is rated at 2150 CFM (cubic feet per minute here in the colonies) at 2100 rpm. Subjectively, how loud is it in use? Can you hear it over the engine when you're stopped in traffic? Is it "leafblower loud" or more like an extremely perturbed hummingbird? I'm looking for an 'annoying/not-so-annoying' rating here.

Thanks!

It certainly sounds no more than any modern electric fan on a car. Its not intrusive at all and having it mounted on the grill side of the rad also reduces the noise it makes

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
So, the procomp in the original post is 2x the cfm of a standard 4-blade Alpine fan, and Jon's fan is better than 4x standard. I noted that the article didn't recommend multi-blade, curved-blade electric fans, but rather straight 4/6 blade fans.

And also, mind the gap -- a small gap between radiator and fan improved the electric fan performance. As well as plugging the other usual gaps.

Thanks for the info and article link.

Wonder if I should go all-electric... hmm....

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Jon, is CBM/hr cubic meters per hour?

1130 CBM/hr x .589 = 665.6 cfm. according to Engineeringtoolbox.com
The Ebay ad says 1130CBM/hr= 2130 cfm.
Most other fans I've found consume more than 7A to get to 2130... some almost double.

Jon sounds like he's happy with the performance, so I'm going to take a look -- but I don't understand the ebay data on it.

Jon, did your fan have a manufacturer's name and model number on it?

Thanks!

RootesRacer

Donation Time
One seldom considered detail is that how they calculate CFM is never specified and most of these cheapie fan manufacturers offer absolutely insane ampere to CFM ratios. It would be very hard to believe that a fly by night Chinese knock-off will double the CFMs at half the current of a more reputable company.

One thing I will tell you is that an ACTUAL 2000 CFM fan consumes a huge amount of current and sounds like a harrier jet when its on.

While this may have little baring on the usability of these fans, it does present a difficulty in doing apples for apples comparisons in fan performance.

Caveat emtor.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I hear ya, guys. That's why I'm hoping Jon has some mfg data he can add. Armed with 2000 cfm, 7A, and 10"-12" I went online shopping and quickly knew something was wrongo. I do want to get something "new" with published CFM flow, just as a basis for future tweaking if needed. I'll probably buy local for easy returns if needed.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Jon, I know it's hard to get in there, so I'm not expecting miracles. And, if it looks just like the ebay photo, then I can go with that. Thanks in advance for anything you can post/share with us.

On edit...
(I think we were typing at the same time.)

Thanks for the shots, they help a lot!

socorob

Donation Time
Pullers are better as they don't block any airflow to the fins, that's why factory uses pullers. But, for a secondary fan, all you can do is add a pusher. I used a flex a lite scirocco puller fan on mine,my radiator had been moved forward some and I have a V6 so not sure if it will fit on a stock alpine, but it was the thinnest puller I was able to find.

JonPiz

Donation Time
re fan

I think 2150 cfm is efficient enough and it also means I can get rid of the original fan releasing a few more hp. Having the fan in the grill aperture seems neater as well