• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Phil Hill

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Didn't Phil race one of the first cars with an adjustable wing/spoiler? And didn't he also race a car that had some kind of downdraft mechanism that helped it hug the track? I seem to recall him being involved with the Granatelli turbine too.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Chaparral

Didn't Phil race one of the first cars with an adjustable wing/spoiler? And didn't he also race a car that had some kind of downdraft mechanism that helped it hug the track? I seem to recall him being involved with the Granatelli turbine too.

Hope I spelled that correctly. I think the car your remembering was the Chevrolet powered, automatic trans, Chaparral which Jim Hall and Hap Sharp ran until it was banned. As I recall, since the car was automatic it allowed the driver the use of his left foot to adjust the wing on the rear of the car for downforce. They were called Vacuum Cleaners as they picked up stuff on the track and sent it flying back behind the cars.

You are correct. He did drive for Chaparral and won Nurburgring in 1966

6-5-1966 Nurburgring 1000 km Nurburgring, Germany 44 laps Chaparral 2D 2D001 Phil Hill/Jo Bonnier Owner: Chaparral Cars, Inc. 1st O.A. 1st Class Prototype 2000