• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Penrite Steering box lube

Henry K

Donation Time
Hi all,

I want to replace the oil in my steering box with Penrite sbl00045, but can't find a source in the US. Anyone have a line on a good source? Thanks.

Henry

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Restoration Supply in CA stocks it. Their part number is #LUB009 and they sell the 500ml tubes for $15.75. One tube should do you.

http://www.restorationstuff.com

Restoration Supply Company
15182-B Highland Valley Rd.
Escondido, CA 92025
(800) 306-7008

Henry K

Donation Time
Thank you, Kevin. BTW, is there an easy way to drain the fluid I have in the steering box now?

Henry

Ragg Mopp

Donation Time
There is no drain in the steering box so the oil has to come out from the top. I used a syringe with a piece of plastic tubing long enough to touch bottom and just slowly suck all of the oil out.

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
I found this post on what I'm looking for but didn't find it before I bought some oil for my steering box.

I have Series I and I've had the steering box apart and all back together. Now I need to add oil.

What I bought was Lucas, Synthetic, SAE 75W-90 Gear Oil. Does anyone know if it would be OK to use?

65beam

Donation Time
lube

Lucas synthetic 75/90 is blended using Group 3 base stock which is refined from crude and is the latest and greatest base stock. If this Lucas product was blended using a PAO (chemically synthesized oil) for the base stock and not knowing the composition of the seal ,I would not use it for fear of destroying the seal. This product should be OK for use in your gear box. Original spec was for an SAE 90 gear oil. A single viscosity gear oil is hard to find so a multi viscosity 80/90 oil would also work. I know of many that pump an EP 2 Grease into their Alpine steering boxes. Use what you bought.

RunnerDuck

Donation Time
Lucas synthetic 75/90 is blended using Group 3 base stock which is refined from crude and is the latest and greatest base stock. If this Lucas product was blended using a PAO (chemically synthesized oil) for the base stock and not knowing the composition of the seal ,I would not use it for fear of destroying the seal. This product should be OK for use in your gear box. Original spec was for an SAE 90 gear oil. A single viscosity gear oil is hard to find so a multi viscosity 80/90 oil would also work. I know of many that pump an EP 2 Grease into their Alpine steering boxes. Use what you bought.

Thank you for the great information, lots of good stuff there. I will move forward!

Thanks again!