• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Parts compatibility between series 3 and series 4

NA_Joey

Donation Time
I found a guy in MD parting out a series 4 what is compatible i thinking i want the suspension for my series 3 would this work?

what other parts are compatible body and interior?

Thanks Joey

bmohr

Gold Level Sponsor
Some interior compatibility will depend on whether you have an ST or GT and what the Series 4 is. Backseat/parcel area is different between ST and GT. Ian Spencer wrote a nice article about differences.

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?categoryid=82&p2_articleid=12

Many of them are just appearance times like design of interior panels. I think the gauges might be different as mine (Series4) have the orange needles and I think S III had white. Good luck. Hope you get some good deals.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The S3 and SIV have a lot of crossover parts and parts that can be considered upgrades.

the suspension of the SIV will go into the S3.. and you go to the sealed for life bushes. The interiors are largely the same, same goes for soft top, windscreen frames, door glass etc.. The gauges are the same bar the tach which on a S3 will be cable drive on SIV is electronic. the fuel tanks are the same. If you can grab the car.. get it.. can always sell off the parts you dont need to others and the SIV body bits wings can be spares for SIV/V and tiger guys.

Buckeye64

Donation Time
Does this car have a good passenger door?
Looking for an early SIV door to replace the bad one on my Tiger.
I'm in NJ

NA_Joey

Donation Time
I have not seen the car let cant get to see it till next weekend ill have pictures and so on by the Oct 14th.

alpine_64

Donation Time
So Series III GT doors would be the same as later Mk I Tiger?

In a word NO. The S3 Gt door will have 2 main differences:
1: it will have round corners, the GT doors on the tigers used the square corners as per late SIV and SV.
2: The window winder position moved later in the alpine/tiger production, the S3 will have the lower cranking position.

The early round cornered Tigers used the ST round cornered doors. When the car went to cross over body with square doors and bonnet they also gained the GT doors with the door top rolls, raised door trim mounting hats and the thicker 1/4 window base.

65beam

Donation Time
series 4

we used a left side door from a series 3 GT on our series 4 which is the same body as a MK 1 tiger with round corner doors. the window regulator is the same and is in the same position. I know this because we used the regulators from the series 4. the mountings for the GT panels are spot welded onto the door and are easy to remove. all the holes needed for mounting the interior panels are already on the door. you can find photos of this on my photobucket site.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bob,

If you read the post the question was regarding the LATE Tigers, ie: the ones which had the GT doors.

Given your long exposure to Sunbeams I would expect you know that the early MKI's used ST interiors and doors with rounds corners. The cross over body cars that started using the GT doors had the square corners and the relocated position for the window winder crank. your response just confirms what everyone already knows which is the early SIV door and S3 would cross over.. the question was specific to the later cars.

65beam

Donation Time
parts

buckeye 64 is looking for a round corner door from an early series 4 to replace the door on his car. the series 3 door is the same as the series 4 so it should fit his tiger if an early series 4 door will fit. trust me when I say that a round corner door can be made to be a square corner door and a square into a round corner. a door from an ST can also be made into a GT car in a short time. I sold on e bay all of the GT brackets from a series 3 GT so i'll bet someone has converted an ST to a GT. we also converted a series 3 front fender to a late fender by having a body man that knows how to work metal. I guess some folks don't focus on what was correct but focus on what can be done due to lack of the exact parts needed. our body man has a favorite saying. SOME MODIFICATION REQUIRED! that means anything will fit.

alpine_64

Donation Time
our body man has a favorite saying. SOME MODIFICATION REQUIRED! that means anything will fit.

I was waiting to hear that line.. sure.. you can make anything into anything with enough time and money.. but the question regarding if the GT door off a S3 would fit was about late cars.... but the question Rootes Rooter is asking is if it will work.. as in is it he right one.. not if you can blow a bunch of cash making it work... :rolleyes:

Buckeye64

Donation Time
"I found a guy in MD parting out a series 4"
I have an early, B9470149 Tiger, they used the early SIV doors before they raised the window cranks. The DPO of the my Tiger replaced the passenger door with a SV door. I wanted to change it back, so my question was about the SIV passenger door of the car being parted out.

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Compatability

Hi guys, while on the subject of compatability, I just recently bought my first Alpine about a month ago ('65 SIV) and it came with the old convertible top and a brand new one in the box. When I was checking out the new top I noticed the installation instructions said "installation for series 3 Alpine" or something along the lines of that. I haven't messed with the top to see how it looks compared to the old one, but does anyone know if this top will fit ok, or will I have to sell it and buy one for a series IV?

Thanks! -Kyle

Oh and the new top is from JC Whitney. Not sure how long ago it was ordered?

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
parts

the style or shape of the top is the same for series 3,4, & 5. it will fit all three series of cars. series 3 & series 4 originally had a cable to keep the sides down on the rails and series 5 used Velcro. the cables broke on my series 4 after a couple years and I had a local upholstery shop to add snaps to hold the top to the side rails. that was in the late 60's. it now has the series 5 Velcro strips. sunbeam specialties now list the same top for all three series and suggests using the Velcro strips.

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Alpine top

Awesome! Ill mention it to my buddy at the upholstery shop when I'm getting everything taken care of to see what we can come up with.

Thanks! -Kyle