• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Parts car

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Question, I have a parts car to take apart. Are there any "special" hard-to-find things I should save? Rotors, window mechanisms, latches, rearend, and some stuff is common to an old Hot Rod, but you guys know what is hard to get, so I am asking now before I start taking it apart. It could probably be built into a driver, but after looking at the price of door-skins, I think I'll save what I have.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Depending on what series it is, and overall condition, there are little clips here and there holding weatherstripping, etc. around the hood, in the doors (although you'll probably keep the doors intact), etc. Less-popular rear end ratio pumpkins are good to hang on to. Generally, keep as much as you have room for, and advertise what you don't need. Look through "parts wanted" here to get an idea of what is often needed.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I would not consider throwing anything away until the build is complete. Plans change. Also, unless they are disassembled and rebuilt, it is difficult to judge the condition of things like differentials, steering boxes and window mechanisms until put into service.

Bill

Charles Johns

Donation Time
The spare is a series 5. The soft top bows will be saved, doors...complete, suspension pieces (not shocks) and brake parts. The rearend, steering, latches and small weird parts will be cleaned and stored. My experience with 1940 Fords (I had 6 over the years with 5 being drivers) showed me to keep "odd" pieces and any mechanisms/latches (cleaned and stored). After selling my 32 coupe I sold extra parts for $600.00 in 76. What would $600.00 be today? I am looking at a one to two year build so being 76 - 77 years old leaves 5 or 6 years driving time before I'm too old to Disco! I have known people driving into their 90's but I doubt I will make it that long. One can only hope. Last evening I went through a quart of WD40 squirting every bolt I could find and lubricating all moving parts. Another soaking today then start tearing apart Saturday. For those of you who save old parts, phosphoric acid is the best rust remover available. I keep a gallon in a bucket just for dropping parts in...but do not forget them. After a couple of days they get etched so rough the rust would have been better to work with.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hubs are worth keeping.

4 Bolt SV are popular for V6 Conversions.

I might be interested in the steering box&column If you plan to sell.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Dan and others, give me a couple of months to get things apart, then I will know what I need to keep. The spare has wire wheels/knock-offs but are not very good. The seats, hardtop, lenses, and a few other things I already plan to keep, but may sell what I don't need. Chrome/stainless trim I will probably keep but the gas tanks will probably go. Doors are keepers along with the dash and many interior parts.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
No problem with that from me!

Just wanted a chance at the steering if you decide to part!

I'm for sure in no hurry:)

Charles Johns

Donation Time
For the guy asking about my SV knockoffs. They are just okay with some dings. Might clean up but would not bet on it. Once I take things apart I'll clean them up and take pics.

pcmenten

Donation Time
Upper and lower A arms (maybe just drop the whole front end), bumpers as cores, front valence, front fenders, headlamp rings, doors, seats, console, steering wheel, gauges, brake and clutch cylinders, brake booster, radiator, calipers, e brake handle

Charles Johns

Donation Time
IMG_2067.JPG If I can attach I will show knock-offs pictures. They are rough but can be cleaned up and chromed or painted. No binding after the initial hammer to loosen broke the seal. They seem to have good threads due to spinning freely after being loosened.