• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Parrish top seals

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
have just acquired a Parrish top for my SV, and looking forward to refinishing it and using it to extend the season. Any leads or suggestions for the side window seals and windshield seal would be very much appreciated.
Thanks Bob

alpine_64

Donation Time
have just acquired a Parrish top for my SV, and looking forward to refinishing it and using it to extend the season. Any leads or suggestions for the side window seals and windshield seal would be very much appreciated.
Thanks Bob
Check @Bill Blue posts on those seals from a few years back

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
As a little note on history... Parrish Plastics went out of business and was resurrected as Smooth Line... they produced tops for a number of different cars, and also would supply parts for Parrish Plastics, Perfect Plastics and Smooth Line hard tops. However, in February 11, 2022 Smooth Line, Inc. filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. At this time I know of no source for Parrish, Perfect or Smooth Line hardtop parts.

"Smooth Line Inc. filed for voluntary Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection February 11, 2022, in the Western District of Pennsylvania. The debtor listed an address of 239 Schreiber Industrial Park, New Kensington, and is represented in court by attorney Kathryn L. Harrison. Smooth Line Inc. listed assets ranging from $0 to $50,000 and debts ranging from $100,001 to $500,000. The filing did not identify a largest creditor."

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
No help here. By windshield I suppose you mean rear glass. All I know is that the rear glass rubber seal (a basic "S" shaped profile) was 120" long and the side window seal supplied by Smooth Line was no good, at least not on the old tops. What I now have (a concoction of after market seal and seals from gen I Ford Focus) probably would do you no good as I have altered the the top extensively and have no idea how my seal would work on a stock top. In addition, I am not so proud of my efforts as to show them as an example. Neither good nor bad. Its just there, whistling a tune into my ear as we travel down the highway. It does do a decent job of turning the rain.

Ont thing I can pass on. The plastic rear glass can be sanded and painted with a clear coat top seal. It makes all sorts of imperfections disappear. One problem it did not alter was internal crazing. But anything on the surface (both exterior and interior) was made to practically disappear. The really good news is the surface does not have to be sanded really fine. Something like 220 should work.
Bill

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for your comments. I'll try the clear coat on the rear window, worked fine on my Nissan's plastic headlights. side window and front seal to windshield frame is what I need.
Heading out on Sunday to the Ancaster British car show and parts swap ( largest parts swap in Ontario Canada ). Might get some leads there.
Cheers, Bob

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The top to windshield frame is a simple "D" shaped hollow rubber extrusion with adhesive on the flat side to stick it to the top.
Bill

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Bill. Now back to the basement to try and get my side drafts working. GRRRRR